Can a tension pulley release a white smoke?

Asked by Dec 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

I have a 2006 grand prix gt 3800 series III motor. I have a white misty thin smoke shooting out of my
tensioner that is located next to the water pump pulley. The water pump and the pulley spraying smoke
are on the same belt. Would a tensioner do that? and if so should i replace the belt with the tensioner and
pulley? I just replaced the water pump because I thought the smoke was coming from it, but after running
the car for 10 minutes or so to let the car heat up and then shutting it off..that is when i seen the smoke
coming from what seemed to be directly out of the top of the tensioner. Should i just replace the tensioner
and pulley and belts and give it a whirl? In the picture, the inside of the yellow area is where the smoke
comes from.

Coolant flows through the belt tentioner. There's 2 plastic elbows there that tend to fail. If it's just the elbows, replace them with the metal style ones that are now available. If it's the tentioner itself, replace the elbows as well. You'll save yourself the headache of having to do it later. HTH. -Jim

so if the belt tensioner is bad that could be the smoke? And if thats bad then the rest of the parts on that part would be suffering as well right? i replaced those plastic elbows about 4 months ago. I didnt know there was metal ones, so thank you.Those elbows were completely eroded away. the elbows i have on them now were snug and fit after i changed the water pump but i will replace those as well

Found the leak, it was blowing steamed coolant out of the timing belt housing, got to get the harmonic balancer off throw on the new housing with a gasket and hopefully this solves the problem.. will post results