Clicking or Poping noise after making right turn

70

Asked by Mar 13, 2011 at 04:18 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

I got checked with some mechanics, just could not find out why. It is coming out from the front driver side of the wheel of something. It does not happen all time. Would it be the suspension or something wrong?

1,175

It sounds like you may have a cv joint going bad.

70

will it be something wrong with struts and mounts? i got the cv joint checked, i were told that they are ok.

1,175

I really doubt a problem w/struts etc. What about the axle bearing assembly, it could be going bad, as in one or more of the rollers have collapsed. Long distance diagnosis is pretty damn difficult but that bearing problem is a posibility. Also in that condition (some of the bearing collapsed) it would not always make a noise BUT, it will get progressivley worse. Keep me informed as to what your mechanic finds, as I am still learning after all these years. Good luck with it!!!!!!!

345

same thing happened to mine i went out and bought to new cv axles and i turned and it still clicked, then someone told me it was my wheel bearing assmbly so im having mine put it soon and i will let you know if the clicking stops.

70

it turned out to be the struct. i just got the struct mount replaced, so far the noise is kinda gone "forever" but there is another "common" problem-- the squealing noise of the belt at the start up time of my car. it just lasts for a few minutes until the car is warm up. the belt is kinda new, the old one was replaced last december. anything can solve this once and for all?

1,175

If the belt is in good shape you may very well have a belt tensioner that has lost some of its "spring tension". Also check the alignment of the alternator, power steering, AC compressor, etc. and make sure that all the pulleys are clean. Good luck with it, squealing belts are very disturbing. You mention that this belt is newer, are you sure it's the correct belt for the application?

cv joint or wheel hub bearing or the spindle nut is loose.

70

it seems that all problems are solved, the squealing noise caused by the poor pulley condition. thank you very much for all your efforts u did.

70

right i have got it fixed. thank you`~

345

So what was the problem?? mine is still doing it.

300

^^^ idk you, obviously you have popping/clicking when turning right at a decent speed or when accelerating... I had the same problem... its the starter I promise.. Actually, I GAURANTEE that's what's wrong with your grand prix

160

i have Buick regal 1999 does clacking noise when making RIGHT TURN replaced cv axle, inner/outer tie rod and wheel hub but that noise aren't !!! is anyone knows ???? Please....

300

Its the starter I'm tellin you...

40

I had a Chevy Malibu 2002 with the same problem making Right Turns. I replaced both axles, outer tie rods, and steering rack. I also replaced the struts. None of that solved the noise. I bought a wheel hub, but haven't gotten around to installing it. Fortunately the various parts shown signs of rare and the car definately steers better and the play in the steering is gone. Recently the starter solenoid started acting so I replaced the starter! The noise is finally gone!

40

check out the starter some times the noise comes from there on right turns only the spring on the starter is not stronge enough to holed the gear and the gear sides and hits the flywheel

20

Well I changed both wheel bearings and cv axle on my 2003 Pontiac grand prix and when I accelerate or make a right hand turn it makes a thumping or popping sound and has alittle vibration that seems to be coming from the passenger front side. I replaced the tie rod on that side and it still does it anyone have an ideal what it is please tell me it's driving me crazy...ty

40

Have you removed your starter motor and tilt the starter from side to side to see if the gear is easily sliding back and forth? My 2002 Chevy Malibu had the clicking sound on right turns and it turns out that the gear was sliding into the flywheel on right hand turns. Kind of sounded like I had a card in a bike spoke. Quite annoying. In my case the starter solenoid started acting up so I replaced the starter and solved the other problem as well in the process.

my 98 ford Taurus does sorta the same thing when Turing it clicks. then pops and makes the steering wheel violently turn the other direction. it only does it when moving. it sounds like its coming from the wheel. I watched it. the car actually rises before it pops and lowers like hitting a bump, like it catching some thing but there is no wear marks. clueless to what it is. x.x

1,175

Hossssob, in your case I'm sure the CV joint is worn out and locking up, have a nice day!!

50

THIS IS FOR GM 3800 MOTOR, CLICKING NOISE ONLY WHEN TURNING RIGHT THAT GETS LOUDER AND MORE FREQUENT WITH ACCELERATION. THE PROBLEM IS A WORN/BROKEN STARTER DRIVE, VEHICLE MAY STILL START. THE STARTER GEAR IS ALLOWED TO EXTEND OUT ON RIGHT TURNS CAUSING IT TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE FLYWHEEL. STARTER REPLACEMENT WILL FIX NOISE. CONFIRMED FIX FOR DOZENS OF VEHICLES.

its ur balljoins

its ur balljoints

10

Trying to figure it out my 99malibu does the same thing mine sounds like left side

20

I HAD THAT NOISE ONLY WHEN YOU TURN THE WHEEL TO THE RIGHT, THE PROBLEM WAS THE STARTER, THE PART THAT GOES OUT TO SPIN THE FLYWHEEL WAS LOOSE.

20

I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT ONLY HAPPENED WHEN THE CAR WAS BEING DRIVEN AROUND 20 MPH.

I have a 2000 Buick regal supercharged that's got a bad vibration when u accelerate an u let off it goes away can someone please help me ???

Sounds like a broken engine mount

80

I have a 2002 poniac grand am gt and It has a clicking noise when i turn right i was told it's the cv axel so I replaced both of them and wheel bearing what else could it be it's driving me insane please help

I have an 03 grand prix it is making a popping sound in park on low idle. Goes away when i give it a bit of gas. Any help would be great