My door lock on my Pontiac Grand Prix will not lock with the key fob and when I lock it on the inside of the door, I have to press it twice to lock. Not sure what I need to do...

Asked by Oct 21, 2013 at 03:22 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

2006 Grand Prix
base no modifications

2,815

You might need to change the battery in the key fob. It's a 3 volt cr2032 button cell. You need to pry the two haves of the fob apart to get to the battery

I have changed it just recently. Brand new battery. But on the inside it takes two tries to lock it from the drivers side. Passenger side is just fine.

635

It takes two tries because of the security system.Does the chime sound when you hit the lock the first time? As far as the key fob goes,you might have a malfunction in the Passlock system(PK3).The best way to diagnose the problem is to take it to a GM dealer,and have them scan your car.

It takes two tries on the door. Not on the fob. The fob won't even lock the car and the fob is less than a year old. Had to get a new one because the battery in the other one broke out. I would really not like to pay for the gm diagnosis. ..

GM vehicles are shit man. I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix and it is having the exact same issues. Thought it was my key fob, took it to Walmart to get a whole new battery but the person at the desk said "wait let me check your battery before you buy a new one" sure enough it wasn't the battery at all. Well now I'm having the same issues on the door as well and just noticed the other day that not only does my passenger side door not lock like all the rest do but also my rear passenger side window is not working and is open about an inch or two-which sucks because its pretty cold here where I live. My advice if you want it, get your car in whatever decent condition your finances allow you to and sell it ASAP. That's what I plan to do with mine...tired of finding something wrong with it nearly every other month and it taking up a chunk of my finances-just isn't worth the time you know?

2,815

Actually, I think it may be the backing on the rubber buttons. I had issues with one of my fobs and switched the rubber part with the one that worked and it worked fine.