how can I find out the pin count of my transmission without going under the car?

Asked by Nov 07, 2012 at 01:05 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

need to buy a transmission

1,185

What is a "pin count"???

35,675

Are you referring to the gear count on the output shaft that only exists on a rear wheel drive trany?

1,185

John, I thought about that too, but that would be called a spline count or a tooth count. If he is unwilling to get under the car how can he do anything in the realm of repair or physical identification of the transmission. I don't think the splines would be visible anyway unless the boots were torn/missing. This is a front wheel drive vehicle. What are your thoughts on my observations??

it is the wiring harness to were the i need to find the count

1,185

Good luck my friend......I know nothing about the signals that the computer sends to your transmission. I would say yor best bet would be to get the car to an up to date transmission shop. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT PROBLEM!!!!

35,675

Completely agree, except the cv axle plugs into the trans. Its completely opposite of a rear wheel drive tranny. The half shaft would have to be removed to get the count. I tried to say it didn't exist without actually saying it. There is no output shaft on a transverse engine. The differential and trans is all shoved into one.

35,675

I don't believe that is underneath. You will have to remove the air intake box and a few other things but you should be able to get it from the top. As for the last post that was supposed to be transverse transmission.

1,185

It turns out he is talking about the computer hook up etc.

1,185

OK guys.......on this one .....I'm done. Have a good time.

35,675

I did a little bit of digging online and it looks like the same wiring harness for all three engine options. 3.8, 3.8 SC, and 5.3. Who said you need this.

Yes, he is talking about the wiring harness. Yes, they all have what appears the same plug but isn't. By pins, he's referring to how many of the slots in in the harness actually house wires, typically 16 or 17 of the 20. The plug is at the rear of the trani, near the top. You shouldn't have to remove anything, I didn't. However, my understanding is that 2005 and newer are 17 because of some added park/neutral lock thingy but mine is a 2005 and had only 16.