After changing the tranny filter and fluid.

Asked by Jun 21, 2015 at 04:17 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

I noticed a couple years a go that my temp gauge was fluctuating.  Took to a local shop and they told me was fine.  Second opinion I took it to the dealer, same thing.  since the car mostly sits in the garage I haven't really worried about it.  My daughter wanted to borrow it and I changed the thermostat hoping that would fix it.  Yesterday I took it to Phoenix (114 in the shade).  Before I left I checked the fluids and the tranny fluid was getting nasty and the temp hit 248 on the way home car water temp running above normal but not over heating.  Changed the tranny fluid and filter and now it won't go into gear.  Can some one help? Please!!!

22,140

If you did not get the trans filter seated back in were it goes properly it well not suck the trans fluid through filter it's just sucking in air.

5,045

Your cooling system sounds like its operating normally. I wouldn't worry about it although it may be needing other maintenance like new hoses or fresh coolant, but the temperature fluctuation is probably normal if its not overheating.

Thanks Men!! Like I said it sits in the garage I'll try getting the filter in tighter this weekend. But I still don't understand why the temp gauge would just out of the blue start fluctuating?

22,140

You may might just have a bad gauge or the sensor that goes into the engine block to the gauge is bad.

Just pulled the pan and the and the metal collar on the filter is seated in the tranny. When I was cleaning off the gasket surface of the tranny I knocked this damn thing off. What is it and is there anything that may have been under it that I may have lost?

22,140

Not quite sure what I would do to fix that. I know that is your problem why your trans is not pumping. Most guys would say to buy another transmission because that part can not be replaced separately and in good reason the are right but if it was me I would try ( JB weld ) not saying its going to work but its worth a try. First I would clean off broken surface with brake clean and also the piece that fall off. Put the JB weld on the crack edges on part on transmission first then put the piece of metal back into place. My have to hold until JB weld sets up. Once dry make sure outer surface is smooth so that filter gasket can make a good seal. If some of the JB weld is on the outer surface lightly sand with fine sand paper. That all I got if you do decide to try it hope it works for you. Now do not take my word for it you may be able to replace that part that is broken but you would have to ask someone who works on transmissions.

Oh crap man!! That's the new filter I put in broke the old one taking it out to. It's the long metal piece to the right that I knocked off I put it in upside down the first time. there is a spring loaded plate under it but since I knocked it out I didn't see if there was anything else that went with it.

This is the GM Automatic Transmission Fluid Level Thermostat. Brand:ACDelcoPart Number:8646904UPC:036666112511OE Numbers:8646904 more details on - https://www.carid.com/acdelco/gm-original-equipment-automatic-transmission-fluid-level-thermostat-mpn-8646904.html?singleid=86326945&url=1498584 Don't ask me how it works.........