my 2005 Grand Prix only clicks when trying to start it..the battery is good...put new starter on and that is not the answer...it clicks and just wont start...we have tried trouble shooting and still

Asked by Dec 09, 2012 at 12:02 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

we are at witts end...it only con't to click when trying to start..put on a new starter and still only clicks..will not
start..we have done some troulble shooting...what are we missing here...plz help me..i am disabled and my mom
is having surgery at 83yr.old...i need my car ..live in rural area and i am stuck out here....plz help me figure out what
this clicking noise it and not starting

34,965

When you turn the key is it clicking multiple times or just once?

7,705

could be the security system, or ignition module. the click sound is the relay engaging.... is the starter solenoid the same one or new? if the old one, open it up and clean the copper contact. they can get oxide stuff on it fouling it. starter relay could be bad too; i had one go bad a long time ago.

34,965

Security system wouldn't prevent starting but if its clicking multiple times it may be the ignition switch isn't carrying enough voltage to keep the starter solenoid engaged. If its clicking once it may be the wires going from the starter to the battery.

775

chance's are your starter could be toast, try hitting it with a hammer on the metal housing, could be a flat spot in the starter(will require replacement but will at least help you a bit) if nothing happens then your starter could be cooked, to test this u need take a test light and attach it to the negative side of battery then to the ignition solenoid on the starter and have someone turn the key to start car, if the test light lights up then you'll need a new starter, if it doesn't light up then there could be other issues like at the actual key slot itself in the tumbler it may not be making proper connection. start with the hammer and test light first, chances are its your starter, gm had a bad batch of them and even aftermarket suppliers had some issues most new ones cost about 200$ rebuild ones about 100 with your old starter check around for best price

34,965

Autozone is very well known for selling junk starters off their shelves.Stories all over the www.

485

Have your tried turning the motor over with a wrench? Just to make sure you're not going through all the bother to find out the motor is locked up?

20

I have a 2006 grand prux an just last Thur I was driving to work an a sensor popped up รถ n the dash saying battery savor active den two days later system charging failure popped up an battery saver active so. I parked the car an turned it off it didn't start back up it just made a clicking noise an my radio was blinking the next day had it towed to good year thinking it was my battery because I had a warrenty for my battery there they stated it was some bad wires on the battery so they fixed him didn't have a problem after that up until just Monday it begin acting like it don't want to turn over like when the battery going dead dden after so many trys it finally start no to mention all my lights are still bright an radio come on plz tell me wat can b the starter

10

I had the same problem with my 2001 grand prix just this week. After buying a new starter and battery, I found it was the ac compressor so maybe try that.

10

The ac compressor was locked up