why does my charging system failure light come on

20

Asked by Sep 28, 2015 at 06:34 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

Here are details.  the battery is good as well as the alternator.   whenever I start the car it dies out and the light "charging system Failure" comes on.  I will try to start it again and it starts.  if I give gas on the first time it might start but I know that is not how it is suppose to work.  When this happens it also resets the sequence of the display beginning with the date.  I always have the mileage on there.  can any one help?

250,495

How do you know the alternator is good?

20

I had it check at advance auto

69,275

The alternator may be getting tired. Does it only happen when the car is cold? Like from sitting overnight. If so, I'd suspect that the alternator is failing. HTH. -Jim

60

I am having the same problem and have already replaced battery and alternator, even though it tested good - didn't know what else to try. STILL getting charging system failure, can't figure it out. And it can be intermittent, the warning might last for 2 minutes or 20 miles. What's going on??

20

I have been having the same issue. Pamela, someone mentioned that it may be the serpentine belt. Let me know if you guys get yours fixed.

40

I'm starting to get the same problem. Then, last night, my battery seems to have completely died to the point that the monitor won't turn on, and the car won't play music.

10

I've had the same thing happen this morning only my power steering when out and everything else was fine. And then my fiancé and I got it into a parking space and then it wouldn't come back on.

60

Update. After replacing battery & alternator (even though the alternator was testing good, and the battery had tested good a few months earlier), the charging system failure alarm still kept showing up. Then later car quit on me giving other alarms as well (service theft deterrent system, low fuel) & gauges acting confused. Dealership said throttle body was gunked up causing car to idle extremely low). They cleaned it up & did fuel induction service. Well then the car ran like a charm - for a few weeks. Then alarms started back & I got stranded again. I also did a full tune-up. So, after all of this, I'm still right back where we started with the charging system failure alarm. Oh, & also the positive cable on my new battery is having corrosion after just about a month already! What?? Any thoughts appreciated!!!