Reduced power

Asked by Mar 26, 2015 at 04:49 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

I have a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix, I went to turn it over and I heard a "click" and I lost
all power to my car. Popped the hood and wiggled the connectors on the battery and
power was restored. Tried to turn it over again and it sounded like it was going to start
but never caught. After 3 minutes, I tried again and it turned over, but the check
engine came on and the message "reduced engine power." There was a ticking noise
behind the right corner of the engine. It also seemed to make a sputtering noise while
idle.

615

If the cables can be wiggled then they are too loose. Take them off at the battery end, inspect for corrosion. Clean or replace them as needed. Also, ensure the battery contacts for the cables are clean. It is very possible that loose or corroded cables are, or will be a problem for you. This condition can ruin the battery and overwork the alternator as well.