CAR ONLY CLICKS, WIL NOT CRANK UP WHEN TURNING KEY, THE LIGHTS AND RADIO COME ON I CHECKED THE BATTERY AND IT STILL WILL NOT START

Asked by Nov 24, 2013 at 04:24 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

I just had my tranny replaced about 1 week ago at a licensed dealership... all of a sudden it got really cold out michigan weather i drove my car from work and parked it in my garage about 2hrs later i get ready to go and it will not do anything, only a small click, the lights come on, the radio work the battery was replaced a week ago when the tranny was replaced, i have driven the car on the highway  at least 3 times at about 30 miles each after the repair and it drove fine... any suggestions as to what i can try myself before taking to a shop im a young woman that knows very little about cars.

293,915

Yes, your battery is too weak to start the car, but enough to run the lights. Replace the battery. Remove it and take to your local auto parts store, they will check it for free and set you up with a new one with a warranty.

5,125

Get the charging system checked. Battery might be run down, but is probably okay if its only a week old. But have your mechanic check the connections at the starter, which was removed and replaced during the tranny work. Could be as simple as that.

1,505

With Any electrical problem check the battery cables First! They are often forgotten after major work or can loosen up. If they are tight then move on to the other excellent options mentioned

My car started doing same thing couple weeks ago. Dash comes in so does radio. My stereo was jacked out of it what could be my issue