shaking??

Asked by Aug 26, 2011 at 04:31 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

whenever i am accelerating on the gas in my car, its gives me a bad shake.  As soon as I take my foot off the gas, the shaking stops.  I have had all of my tires replaced and balanced, but it still continues to shake. What could this be??

7,695

if it doesnt shake all the time its not your tires. its under acceleration when it shakes? what does that mean? when youre making your engine do more work the car shakes. motor mount? do you have a CEL light on?

725

when i was experiencing that, it was because the input clutch plates on my tranny were warped. it's probably just starting, and may not even be your issue. but either way start saving cause that cost me 1400 to fix.

sounds like you may need spark plugs and wires, as you accellerate this increases the demand on your spark plugs and wires, if thet are worn out ( as they do) your engine will begin to miss. this causes the engine to vibrate, when you release the gas , Other items that WILL need to be checked are your ignition coils and module, these control your spark delivery. . In my experience the coils tend to give out. There are three.

10,665

All of the answers above are valid options as they would all produce your symptoms. Maybe you would like to expand on those comments? I will throw one in there too.. Since it is on acceleration.. Maybe even a bad CV axle.

3,045

i would go with a broken motor nount

40

1995 grand am 3.1 179000. I understand what the original ppost is about as I have the same issue. . When driving at a constant speed and i wan to pass another car i hit the gas and it starts to shake violently until i ease up on the gas. now i have done a few things differently to try to get it to stop and it always happens when the trans is in overdrive at a constant speed, when driving in 3rd at a constant speed and i hit the gas in the same way it does not shake. i believe it maybe a problem with the overdrive .

130

If you have the ability to take on the task to look at the car yourself or have a knowledgeable person inspect the car. Check the CV joint. Opon acceleration the cars shakes but coasts fine is a clear indication of a bad CV joint. The CV joint may appear fine and the boot may be ok. If you look inside a CV joint, there are 3 main bearings that ride on needle bearings. Those needle bearing will go bad and fall out leaving the main bearing unsupported. This will cause a bad vibration during acceleration. Never judge a book by its cover when inspecting a CV joint. Before you believe anything you read on forums, look into the little things first. Many shops take advantage and will tell you anything.

20

Same thing at and idle or when accelerating but once I hit a constant speed it seems to let up. Changed plugs and wires. . . engine light flashes, when at constant speed it just stays lit until I try to speed up then it will flash again

10

im having same problem^^ did you fix yours? what was wrong?

145

Just fixed the same problem on my 04. It was the CV axles.

150

2004 Grand Prix gt when I go in between 60-70mph my car shakes but when I go under that speed or over 70 it stops any ideas ?

145

It could be as simple as wheel balancing. I had the same problem - had to change my CV shafts (the bearing that goes into the transmission had some teeth missing - "said in non-mechanical terms)

Yes i have a 2003 grand am gt my front left tie pops when u turn to deep while drive what can that be n when i pick up speed the left front side bounce