My 2004 Pontiac Grand prix is overheating I changed the thermostat when I did there was gasket sealer in the thermostat I'm wondering if there could be a clog from bars leak

10

Asked by Nov 22, 2014 at 02:05 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

146,315

http://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/1460758-radiator-stop-leak-products-good-bad.html ..see that and behold. Yes, it will clog small passages, water jackets. Just think, a chemical, goop, substance circulating through the cooling system looking for holes to plug.

3,625

That's your proof that cooling system additives are bad? A bunch of fear and ignorance posts my amateurs on an automotive discussion forum? Now to answer the question. No. Gasket sealer in the thermostat, (I'm presuming you mean silicone or some other type of sealant used in engine repair or assembly, like maybe when a water pump was replaced) is indicative of sloppy workmanship by a mechanic or a do it yourselfer. There's not likely enough of it floating around in there to cause any problems so I wouldn't worry about it. If someone has used a properly engineered cooling system stop leak, (Barrs-Leak is a good example) you also have nothing to worry about. These products are engineered to find and plug miniscule external leaks in cooling systems such as those caused by tiny cracks or failing gaskets. They work very well in many cases and do not plug or gum up the internals of your cooling system. GM, for one actually approves it for use in their cars because it easily passes through the 24 guage screen that is their specification for anything in their cooling systems. I used it in my '03 Grand Prix GTP about 3 years ago to stop the leak that developed at the intake. The leak stopped almost immediately and has not re-occurred. I still have a tiny leak somewhere because I add about a gallon of coolant once a year, but it has saved me the time and expense of tearing into the top end of the engine to replace gaskets. If however someone has put something not designed for cooling systems in there then you could be in trouble, but that seems unlikely. Make sure your cooling system is full and that the cooling fans are coming on when they should. After that check for air pockets in the system. That is most likely your problem. Releasing trapped air from modern cooling systems is tricky for some reason. If you are unable to accomplish this on your own a few dollars spent at a shop equipped with the proper vacuum equipment to draw the air out of the system will be money well spent. If it hasn't been flushed in a few years this would be a good time to do that as well. Hope this helps. (Sorry FordNut. It had to be said)