radiator engine fans not running

Asked by Aug 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

im back i got my car running good and now the fans have stopped running causing the
car to overheat again. What can I do to make sure that the fans need changed before
spending the money for new ones? Thanks to everyone who has answered my previous
?'s. If I can get this car back in descent shape it is getting traded asap! It as pushed
my nerves beyond control. my husband knows nothing about cars so it is up to me, im
a woman and a machinist not a mechanic i just thank God I have done alot of
machining on coolant parts, heads, etc. so im smart enough with the help of my son to
work on the car. So what do you suggest now?

It's far more likely to be a relay than the fan itself. Find the right one in the fuse box and try swapping it temporarily with a different one of the same size if there is one. If you live in a corrosive rust prone environment check that electrical connections to the fans are clean. You may also be able to power them up at the connector using a jumper wire and determine if the fan motor works, but it is very unlikely that they have both failed at once. Good luck and good strategy. Fix it and sell it. They are worthless if things aren't working properly and they don't last forever