Can asupercharger engine be switched with a reguler engine

Asked by Mar 03, 2014 at 11:14 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Engine breaking down and I don't have a 1000 to spend on a supercharger

Is the supercharger failing or the motor. There are people that run the 3.8 w/o the belt and claim it's better on fuel. The motor has a boost control system and will hold a by-pass valve open in the s/c until boost is required and available. Your engine will run fine without the s/c. As for installing the N/A motor in place of the s/c one I would have to confirm some things to ensure it will run with you PCM without issues..

The intake seal just blew today so I have to find some thing fast. Everyone to sold out on the supercharger and all I can find the basic. But I dont want to do anything having to rewire the car and engine.

You won't have to rewire it if you sub in the 3800 n/a. The only thing that I can see is they may have different sized injectors for the increased air volume of the s/c motor. I am checking. Worst case you will need to swap some parts from your motor to the new one to avoid changing the stock tune. Then all the supercharger components will need to be secured and the boost/vac lines be straightened out (I would not pull them off as you may get an engine light, and the s/c could be added again in the future.

Have you checked the local classifieds or the wreckers for parts. Good used s/c go for $50 to $250 in my area for the 3.8 s/c depending on the series.

Everything in my area runs from 1000 and higher only because its hard to find in Michigan. I just found one in flint for 1100.