wondering if anyone else had trouble with power steering pump on 2004 comp g gtp?and if so is there something to fix

75

Asked by Oct 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

105

yes buy a foreign car, gm aint no good anymore. i see these pontiacs with 20,000 miles on them and bad ball joints and shyt. i lost faith in gm in the last 10 years.

4,995

what is the symptom from the power steering pump (i.e. is it squealing, leaking, more steering effort required than usual). Make sure the drive belt is in good condition and the pulley is turning. 2000 Chevrolet Malibu at 197,482 miles and still going. Daniel, I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with Pontiacs. I have seen Pontiacs gone as high as 100,000 miles and a couple of people at work who drives a Grand Prix (MY 1994 and 2003). Whichever vehicle you go with, I wish you the best of luck.

105

well i had pontiacs (2 - 6000's, grand am [3.1 L V-6, bad intakes], sunbird and my best car i ever owned a 77 grand prix). dont get me wrong, i do love pontaics and i know they can run over 100,000 miles. a few i owned gone almost 200,000 miles. just i am a mechanic and we see new 07's and newer with problems. why GM make these cars problem free? why in the past they were fine and now they no good? plus why GM shut down the pontiac division? we see newer chevys like malibu and impala not build well. but the real answer to the power streeing trouble, yes check your serp belt, fluid and belt tensioner. well no better part (s) to put on unless you buy from the dealer!

75

yes my second pontiac here ,first time with power steering problem though, have to keep adding fluid ,after a while of driving when making a sharp left fluid goes low enough to cause the high rev sound from the pump

4,995

Thank you for clearing it up. I have also seen bad intake gaskets on 3100, I end up using the Fel-Pro Permadry Plus. I know that after I used Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak, squealing was gone. I have heard many different people's testimonies, your guess is as good as mine. I think if Pontiac only made GXP series only (offering something you cannot find on say a Saturn or a Chevrolet), I think that Pontiac would still be in business. Supposely the US Government mentioned that offering limited Pontiac models was not a viable plan, not sure if I believe that.

105

I do have a TSB from Mitchell1 OnDemand on this leak. looking on how i can copy and paste this to an email so you may review this for yourself. as soon as i can you shall get this.

5

i did the other night. my steering pump was acting up, but i just let my car sit for a while, and it doesnt do it anymore but its gonna get looked at 2morrow when i get my tires balanced