Fuel pump isn't turning on

Asked by Nov 03, 2016 at 08:40 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2

I have a 04 Pontiac grand Prix gt2  series lll  I was
late on my payment and they shut the car off. well I
paid it and when they turned it back on my fuel
pump doesn't come on I have changed out the fuel
pump and still nothing the relay and fuse are good
spray starting fluid in it and it will crank but dies
soon as fluid is gone I'm at wits end help please

60,665

Have you tried talking to the loan shark that sold you the car?

66,065

If your Grand Prix has OnStar, contact OnStar. To my knowledge OnStar has the ability to shut down a vehicle that's been reported stolen. They may have to reactivate the car. Another possibility, a rather small possibility though, is that the finance company hit the car with an EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) to shut it down. If that's the case the computer may be damaged. BTW some police departments are doing that to stop vehicles instead of a high speed chase to safely avoid high speed chases. HTH. -Jim

66,065

Excuse me! You obviously have no idea of how modern automobiles work! The two possibilities that I offered are very real and in no way suggest you are a bad person! The loan company may very well have reported your car stolen to OnStar to convince them to shut it down. How dare you attack someone who is trying to offer helpful suggestions?! With that kind of attitude you'll never get anyone to cooperate with you! Good luck with this. You're going to need it!! -Jim

First of all in no way would that help second you came with OnStar shutting it off I need mechanical advice not the assumption that someone reported my car stolen if I wouldn't of put that my car had been shut off would you of said anything about OnStar or anything of the sort.. no you wouldn't so again if you don't have any mechanical advice don't respond it's just that simple and too anyone else who reads this thread I do apologize for my abrupt attitude thanks

66,065

The fact that the car was "shut down" as per your original post and the fuel pump is not working leads me to believe that the problem is electronic. The fuel pump is controlled by the computer. If your vehicle is equipped with OnStar how do you think OnStar would shut it down? What method do you think the loan company used to shut down your car? This isn't the '50s where somebody pulled the coil wire to prevent it from starting! Police Departments have EMP technology. So who's to say that your loan company doesn't. If the car was hit with EMP technology it most likely damaged the computer and that's why the fuel pump won't run. As I said, the fuel pump is controlled by the computer. HTH -Jim

Well the loan company uses passtime GPS and starter interrupt system so when. Are late you can't turn your car back on until you have a code which is an easy bypass and has no ties to the fuel pump and my fuel pump was bad I replaced it and car is running but if you happen to know what the fuel pressure is supposed to be that would be a great help thanks

60,665

Clueless and an AH! If you don't know how cars work then take it to a mechanic and give him your attitude.

66,065

Key on, engine off, 53 to 59 PSI. Key on, engine running, 3 to 10 PSI less. HTH. -Jim

Thanks js8016 car up and running and Mr full of regrets if you know cars then you should know why I got attitude but not once was my attitude towards you so why you think you need to say anything is beyond me you should of sat in your little corner and worried about self .. I didn't get on this site to argue or get ridiculed by anyone nor will I tolerate it I came here because I needed sound professional advice didn't think I was going to be made to feel like I had to defend myself from people I don't even know but hey it is what it is. Thanks again JS8016

66,065

You're welcome. Glad to help. Also, glad you are up and running again. Thanks for letting us know! -Jim