A Clunking noise when you turn left - then feels like you are riding on a flat tire?

125

Asked by Sep 17, 2015 at 10:45 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2

Hi! First off I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and respond
to my question :)
I have been having a bad shake 40+ mph and really doesn't smooth out (to
say it's a balancing issue) I had new tires put on about a month ago.
Yesterday, I made a left turn and I heard a clunking sound and while I was
driving slow, it felt as if I either had a flat tire or had a flat side on my rim
(which it all in tact, I am just trying to explain how it felt). I know my left hub
bearing needs to be changed as I hear it humming, but I am not sure if that
is what is causing the bad shake or the clumping noise. Could this be the
problem? I thought about the CV joints, but it doesn't click while turning so
IDK.

41,885

Are the lug nuts tight?

335

it could be a number of things... How long have you had this problem? It could be the hub or something more... Have you had an alignment done lately?

125

@ Bob, yes sir. They are. Had them re-torqued after 100 miles. (I work at a tire shop :) @Valiant010, for a couple of months. I've been changing parts little by little (bought the car used and been having problems ALL the time) I know the LF hub needs to be changed. I don't want to do an alignment until I know all the front end is fixed due to obvious reasons. I have someone taking a look at it tomorrow. He seems to think it may be the CV axle as well.

3,775

Yes, one or both of your front axles are worn out. If you can't do everything at once try to determine which side is worse and do that one first. Bad axles and bearings usually sound much worse than they really are so they will go a long time if you can't afford to do all at once. If you can manage it change the hub and axle at the same time to save having to take things apart twice. Having said that though, taking it apart again is not all that difficult. Try to use good quality bearings though. The cheap import ones have an annoyingly short life span. I've had some last less than a year. As long as you don't disturb the top strut settings you won't significantly upset the alignment and you can get it done once when you are all done instead of multiple times. Keep an eye on your tire wear though. There's no point in burning off perfectly good tires if the alignment is seriously out.

Best Answer
125

Thank you Munron. :)

125

It was the CV shafts. It feels so good to drive again. :)

3,775

Glad to hear you found the problem and have it looked after.

125

Well, we fixed that problem, but now when we make a left hand turn my transmission slips (not all the time) and I am having to fill my transmission up at least once a week and my brake fluid up every 3 or so days. UGH! If it isn't one thing it's another. Any suggestions on what that could be???? CV shaft installed improperly?

3,775

Yes, the shaft does slip into the transmission and there is a seal that keeps the fluid in the transmission. If the shaft was not put in carefully its possible the seal was damaged and is now letting fluid out. Is the fluid showing up on the underside of the car or pooling under it when its parked? If its the axle seals the axles will need to be pulled again and the seals replaced. It's also possible there is something actually wrong with the transmission. You might need to have a transmission take a look and give you an evaluation before you spend too much more time on it.

125

Thank you so.much for the info. I will definitely have that looked at.

125

Munron, it was the seal. You are awesome!!!! Thanks again! If you were close I'd cook you a gumbo! LOL

3,775

Well its the thought that counts. Thank-you. I'm so glad I've been able to help a little and that you're getting your car sorted out. Merry Christmas.

125

Merry Christmas! :)