Over heating and no heat

Asked by Dec 02, 2015 at 05:56 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT1

My fans work my hoses are hot and I
have fluids and my gauge still in the
red zone and no heat even on full
blast just cold air I did change
thermostat someone please help me

Well then if you bled the air out of the cooling system after filling, sounds like the the heater core may be plugged and need to be flushed out or roded out. If the car is not boiling over which it would, then I suspect a temperature sending unit should be replaced. The gauge may be giving a false reading.

Would you know the best way to bled the air out of cooling system ?

Do a "Google" search for bleeding the air out of cooling system for your vehicle.

On that one it may be difficult. Is there a radiator cap on the radiator? or does it go to another plastic reservoir with a cap? Ordinarily you run the car with the radiator cap off until it gets to operating temperature, and increasing the rpm up to like 2k but releasing the throttle very slowly so it doesn't spray out on you. It may over flow but that would be the air coming out. You keep filling as necessary when the thermostat opens, and when full with the car running you put the radiator cap back on. Hopefully this can work if you have that reservoir style, otherwise you may need assistance from a radiator shop.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Or you can do the Google as Bob suggests...

Ok I'll try that and also there's a wire connector to a sensor just sitting there not connected to anything it's right below my break fluid ??

Do you see where it goes? May be for the ABS system. Look for an sensor without a wire to it.

I see no where for it to hook up to where would the abs connector located?

Probably does not connect to anything. Not uncommon. If it plugged into anything it would be right there by the connector.

If none of this works for you the next step would be to have the cooling system pressure tested to find out if there is a bigger problem at hand, in cases like this being a mechanic is like being a detective and the more info u give the better we can help you out. (Exe how many miles r on this car, did it over heat before u changed the thermostat and if so how long was it over heating? Normal operating temp for a gm should be right 210f once above 220f the aluminum will heat up and start to warp if in fact the one or both heads are bad u will need to get the heads changed along with the top end gaskets.

That's what I was thinking and could my water pump cause no heat and over heating

I just add antifreeze in my radiator cap and few bubbles would come up ??

The bleed screw is on top of the thermostat housing.

It's not your water pump. Water pumps don't fail. They either start leaking or they make noise but they always pump.

Okay hey listen everyone thankyou so much for the help I finally have heat and no over heated anymore the problem was air pockets / bubbles in my cooling system had to keep filling radiator and bleed the thermostat that was the reason but like I said thankyou everyone for being here to help me I couldn't have done it with out you I appreciate it a lot((:

Glad you got it fixed.