My 2004 grand prix gtjust wont start.. i was driving and all of a suddon my check engine light started flashing and my car started putting as if it was running out of gas, so i put gas in the car and

20

Asked by Jul 12, 2015 at 07:52 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT1

when i went to start it, it sounds like it
wants to start but it doesnt. Ive replaced
plugs, wires, coils and the module, crank
shaft sensor. And i dont know what else is
left

97,765

Are you getting gas? Whats the pressure at the rail

17,810

Check for a clogged catalytic converter.

63,065

A flashing check engine light means that the engine is misfiring and damaging the catalytic converter. Will it run at all if you spray starting fluid down the throttle body? If so it's a fuel system problem. If not it's an ignition system problem. There should be a misfire code in the computer. Scan the computer and see what codes you get. That will be helpful as well. HTH. - Jim

3,775

Why did you replace all those parts without knowing what the problem is? Diagnose first, then fix. Its way cheaper and much faster, plus you end up with a car that runs. It's unlikely that a plugged catalytic converter would prevent the car from starting. This sounds like a failed fuel pump to me. Check fuel pressure as was suggested above and check for codes.

20

The fuel pump is working perfectly fine. But i havent scaned for codes yet, i was suggested to check catalytic converter and also timing chain... could that be an issue to worry about? And thanks for your feedback and helpfull tips

20

And i tried starter flued and it wasnt helpfull at all

63,065

Ok so it's not getting spark. Or if you suspect that it may have jumped timing you'll have to run a compression test. If all cylinders test low or zero. It's jumped timing. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
20

Ok so i took my car and had a full diognostics test and the only thing came back was the engine is losing compression. Its at 70 when it should be at 145. Does anyone know what can cause my car to loose compression?

63,065

Compression readings that low on all cylinders indicate that the timing chain has jumped. HTH. -Jim

20

Ok so i got to the timing chain and it looks like its in perfect working condition..how do i tell if the timing chain has jumped???

63,065

You should see a dimple or mark on each sprocket. Turn the engine over by hand. The 2 marks should line up. If the mark on the crank sprocket is at 12 o'clock, the mark on the cam sprocket should be at 6 o'clock and be lined up perfectly with the mark on the crank sprocket. HTH. -Jim

3,775

The chain should also be quite tight. If there is a lot of looseness in it, even if it hasn't jumped you should replace the chain and gears while you're in there. A chain set isn't that expensive and as you now know getting to it is a bit of a chore..