GT1 swapped to Comp G motor and trans but paddle shift won't work

Asked by Jan 19, 2013 at 01:15 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT1

I have an 04 GT1 and with some help
I swapped in a supercharged 3800
motor paired with a transmission
from a comp g which has the paddle
shift option and I then swapped out
the shifter and steering wheel from a
comp g also. After doing all of this I
was hoping the paddle shift would
work. Hopefully someone can help
me out, any advice is appreciated

775

you also need to check into pcm flashing or tuning, the paddle shift wont be recognized without the pcm knowing so

Thanks Chris for the quick response, much appreciated. I'll look into that. I'm not familiar with the process, is this something that can be done affordably?

775

most computer tunes/flashes run the shops hrly rate between 70-150 $ hrs. if u tell them exactly what your trying to do they can sometimes just throw a quick base tune together and then download it to ur pcm and run you on a dyno to insure everything's working how it should, could take up to 2hrs to do this, to add in stuff like the paddle shift capabilities your talking custom computer tuning, could get costly, another thing u might be able to try is get a pcm and/or a tcm (trans control modual) from a car with the actual paddle shift function and see if itll work then (this could also be costly)

I do know we changed out the computer underneath the intake. Thanks for your advice

You are fairly correct Chris, however what you do with the PCM and re-flashing is to find some company your comfortable with and has a good track record. Like 3800 performance, W body, 360 Tuners, or go to 3800pro.com which is a forum and ask around who they prefer. This forum or even a couple others like mine RegalGS.org is definitely and absolutely the smartest idea and the way to go because the guys have been their and done that and they will tell you who to stay away from and who they think is the best. Just because I mention Regal don't freak because the guts are all the same. They will also tell you, especially at 3800 forum what works with your setup real well and you will get a thousand ideas. Sounds like your wanting to make a beast, so do that and check them out as also a lot of companies will BS you and you will get your PCM back with more problems than when you started and that is a sorry day, I have been there!!!! Then you will send your PCM in to them, there is sometimes a core charges but what I used to do is get hold of the company tell them what you want and just buy it from them, this is where they charge a core charge refundable when you send them in the one you have now, but get with who is going to do the work, tell them what you are up to and then you can have them do a complete job, like turn of trans. limiter, wot lag, and set your shift points to where you will like them, on the RPM range, also can set how long you want the fan to run after the engine off is set, there are many things for you to do. I have my own equipment and have done my Regal GS many times as I get bored with what I have or mainly fiddling around, after adding the inter-cooler etc. but getting on the phone usually and working with them is the best way and if it's drivable at all as it is now, have a spare PCM so you can at least get around as generally it will take a week to and back to you. Check your warranty info as it makes a difference as I had a guy early on in my mod process that screwed me royal and he didn't have a Fn clue about what he was doing and screwed up my car bad. That my friend is the worst. But the forums are the best place for this kind of answer as it gets more technical than what this site will know,, but I'm not saying anything about Chris's comment as he is mostly right, except this is generally a flat rate not hourly and that's for sure, because once they know what you want it only takes less than 15 minutes but a real shop will have one sitting on the shelf and send it right aways. This is why, after having it done on my many w-body cars all highly modified and paying probably 10 or more times I bought my own equipment and learned to do it all myself and for my friends. You did a smart swap as most people and I just answered a guy who wanted to do a tranny swap and would have screwed himself royal with what he had planned, but keeping them married is real smart as being these are electronic transmissions and all appear to be the same with the same numbers the electronics and gear ratio's differ widely like up to 12 different configurations, grand am, regal gs, impala, grand prix all use the same trannies but don't interchange like one would think.

Go to zzperformance.com contact them through there website or phone or Facebook. Best site I've ever found for my grand Prix