noise also when turning right

200

Asked by Apr 01, 2011 at 05:57 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT1

We have a 2004 grand prix and it makes a noise everytime we turn right the sound is the same as if the sway bar is broke (we know this because that happended 4 mnths before this). This has been going on since august we were told by two auto mechanics that it was the wheel bering. We changed it and nothing was wrong with it. We took it to a pontiac dealer and they said it was the starter. Not sure where to go from here afraid to change that because I have had a few people tell me that it couldn't be that. We have had full inspections on the front end and they have found nothing. Not sure what to do from here any ideas?

100

The car is front wheel drive might also be a cv shaft try changing the and maybe it will kill the noise also look to see if the sway bar has any cracks or is broken right off

325

I changed my cv axles and wheel bearings and it still makes the noise, my friend told me it could be the ball joints, but if you find out what it is let me know. cause no one seems to know what it is. i had my car looked at and all they say is its my axle.

4,395

does it only make noise while turning the steering wheel?

325

mine does it when i make tight right turns like u turns or sharp turns.

200

yes it only does it when we are turning and sorry it took so long to reply did not know how to get back to check replies

200

well after it started making this noise we went in and had the sway bar looked at and they said it was fine and that it was the wheel berring. If we have had the front end looked at would that have included the cv shaft?

200

I know the feeling i don't want to waste anymore money. We paid 40 bucks to have it looked at by the mechanic at a grand prix dealership and they say its the starter. I just don't know and I don't have the money for maybes

4,395

Here is the Technical Service Bulletin that maybe of help, worth looking into but can't guarantee that it would fix your problem Steering - Steering Column Clunking When Turning TECHNICAL Bulletin No.: 01-02-32-001P Date: November 25, 2009 Subject: Clunk Felt/Noise Heard From Steering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front Of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation (Replace Intermediate Shaft As Directed) Models: 2001-2004 Buick Regal 2005-2008 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse 2000-2008 Chevrolet Impala 2000-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue 2004-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008 Buick LaCrosse/Allure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-02-32-001O (Section 02 - Steering). Condition Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle while driving during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360°of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel or when applying/releasing the brakes. Cause This condition may be caused by a "slip stick" condition of the steering intermediate shaft resulting in the clunk noise or feel through the steering wheel. Diagnostic Tip Important This condition is commonly misdiagnosed as originating in the steering gear and has resulted in the replacement of numerous steering gears without correcting the concern. Attempt to duplicate the customer's concern and isolate the I-shaft by following the procedure below: 1. Locate a large area (parking lot) where the vehicle can be turned in a tight circle. 2. Turn the steering wheel to the right and/or left all the way to the steering lock, then off the steering lock a 1/4 turn. 3. Drive the vehicle approximately 5 km/h (3 mph) in a circle, preferably over rough pavement or seams on the road surface. 4. Drive the vehicle straight ahead at idle speed while applying and releasing the brake pedal. Listen/feel the steering wheel for the clunk/noise condition. 5. If a clunk is felt in the steering wheel, the MOST likely cause is the I-shaft - not the steering gear. Continue with the correction. Correction DO THIS - Replace the intermediate shaft DON'T DO THIS - DO NOT lube the intermediate shaft Replace the existing intermediate shaft using the service procedure found in Service Information. Parts Information

4,395

couldn't fix another picture on the same reply

200

Thank you taking it into another mechanic tommorrow and will mention this to be checked as well. will let you know. also having him check the calipers because i read that when you have replaced the rotors and the capilers weren't greased right it can possibly cause this.

200

Want to let you know that last monday all of a sudden my car started making a really really loud noise when we turned it on and it would stay on for awhile and then stop. Had it rechecked and guess what they said it was.....the starter. We had a new starter put it and it was definatly bad. We have no more noise when we turn right now either so that was the cause. Does anyone know how long the transmission usually last on a grand prix?

10

im having the same type of problems with my 99 gtp, did yours tick when setting at an idle? im sure this is the problem i am having. i got the same reply from repair shops...that the driver side wheel bearing or passenger side shaft was bad. replaced both and still have the popping and clicking noise when turning.

30

i have the same thing going on with my monte carlo. but mine has been going on for almost 2yrs now. took it to the shop. replace cv joints. drove it rt off the lot . turned right in it started clicking. so turned round went back to the shop. he like i dont know what it is.... chevy needs to tell us how to fix this. im goin to replace everything i think it is. so i will keep yu posted

30

i have the same thing going on with my 1999 monte carlo. mine has been making a clicking noise for about 2 yrs now. replaced cvjoints. still didnt it the shop dont know what it is. so i am about to replace everything. i think it is. in i will keep you guys posted

120

i talked to another 1999 buick regal and it was the starter but i don't have $600 to replace mine. and it did stop for awhile until today when the 2 front tires were replaced. Something is screwy with Buicks from the sound of it!

725

usually the clunking noise front the front end is the upper strut mounts, when u look under ur cars hood in the upper left and right corner ull see 3 bolts and a black top thats usually the problem, the either wear out or a spring breaks and when u turn it'll crunch or clunk start there, most manufactures make wat they call a quick strut a complete assembly that bolts in get new springs struts and mounting plates that fixed the issue on my gp, fyi, while its in the air have someone turn the steering wheel while u hold onto the strut itself if u feel any sort of sticking or anything chances r that ur issue

120

i am pretty sure its the starter. like a loose bendix spring that only makes the noise when the car turns right. don't replace anything to do with the wheels, cv joints, sway bars etc if the sound is like a fan hitting against something. it's the starter, just like angeleyes 71 said

50

My 2006 GP popped when turning right,my mech said everything looked good,he said he had heard the bolts would work lose and and cause the supports to pop when turning especially when starting from a dead stop...

50

He tightened up the bolts,and charged me $20... :)

220

if you have a 1999 gt, gtp, gtx, whatever kind of grand prix-3800 2 motor w/without Super charger.. as strange as this is, ITS THE DAMN STARTER...

40

I have a 1999 Monte Carlo and had a noise like something was hitting a fan blade when I turned right. I put a half shaft in the passenger side and drivers side. Still had the noise. Took it to a mechanic and he couldn't figure out what the noise was. I told him I had read something about the noise possibly being caused by the starter. He took the starter out and said bendix was bad and was moving in and out when I turned right. Put a new starter in and the noise is gone.

220

Its thd starter buddy

20

mine did the same clock noise but i changed the gum mounts of the swaybar n it stoped doing it

50

THERE IS RECALL ON MONTE OTHER MODELS FOR DRIVE SAFTS AND WILL REPLACE FREE OF CHARGE

50

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Recalls Overview Model Summary Find it used Classifieds Pricing Resale Values Option Packages Ownership Costs Certified Costs Payment Calculator Dealer Quote Multimedia Exterior Photos Interior Photos 360 Photos Miscellaneous Videos Colors Compare All Trims Select a Vehicle Competitors Specifications Performance Handling Exterior Interior Warranty Reviews Reviews Latest News Consumer Reviews Safety Safety Features Crash Test Ratings Recalls Buying Tools Free Price Quote Locate a Local Dealer Free Credit Scores • Get a Free Price Quote • Find a Local Dealer • Low Rate Financing • Free Insurance Quote More Photos 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Average Resale Value: $6,403 MPG Range: 19 - 32 mpg Bodystyles: Coupe Safety Features Crash Test Ratings Recalls Recall ID # 85412 - STEERING Full Details Recall Date FEB 17, 2009 Component STEERING Model Affected Monte Carlo Potential Units Affected 979 Recall ID # 45673 - FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:PRESSURE RELIEF DEVICES Full Details Recall Date MAR 12, 2007 Component FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:PRESSURE RELIEF DEVICES Model Affected Monte Carlo Potential Units Affected 742 Recall ID # 52554 - AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:DRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE Full Details Recall Date FEB 14, 2003 Component AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:DRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE Model Affected Monte Carlo Potential Units Affected 130 Recall ID # 1065 - AIR BAGS:FRONTAL Full Details Recall Date AUG 09, 2002 Component AIR BAGS:FRONTAL Model Affected Monte Carlo Potential Units Affected 133221 Recall ID # 81186 - STEERING Full Details Recall Date OCT 17, 2008 Component STEERING Model Affected Monte Carlo Potential Units Affected 3855 Recall ID # 62480 - EQUIPMENT:OTHER:OWNERS/SERVICE/OTHER MANUAL Full Details Recall Date JUL 15, 2003 Component EQUIPMENT:OTHER:OWNERS/SERVICE/OTHER MANUAL Model Affected Monte Carlo Potential Units Affected 1707825 Recall ID # 85286 - ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Full Details Recall Date APR 08, 2009 Component ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Model Affected Monte Carlo Potential Units Affected 1497516 CHECK INSURANCE RATES Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2003/chevrolet/monte_carlo/recalls/#i xzz2joIGPG77

20

its the starter. loose bendix spring 2000 pontiac grand prix 3.1L right turning noise fixed after i changed Starter

5

it is the rack and pinion which is around 120. i had a problem and it was very hard to figure out but i had same problem. it sucks to take out and put new one in. it will cause a noise when turning and sometimes a pop noise

220

TO EVERYONE WHO HAS A GRAND PRIX AND IT CLICKS WHEN YOUR TURNING RIGHT, THE ANSWER IS THE STARTER! THE SPRING HAS BECOME WORN AND HAS BROKEN! the starter spring is broken!!! #1999 GRAND PRIX GT, clicked for 2 years until i found that damn problem

15

Upper strut bearing. Chased down the same noise. Led me to that. And that ended up being the noise.

Is it a clicking noise or a whirring sound? I have an 02 that is is making a whirring sound when turning its not the tires and and I checked for play(looseness) on all four wheels. There is a tiny bit of cupping on tires but is not the issue. Noise has gotten louder but again no play on wheels. Are there bearings where the cv shafts connect to the tranny. Noise sounds like bearings. I'll check cv shaft boots for signs of leakage but I've heard those when they go out ......usually associated with a vibration but I don't feel that when driving. I'm more familiar with toyotas....of course the dealership sent me to school for that. Wish I knew more about GM!!!!!

And just looked at cv shaft boots.....only a minimal amount of seepage on the inners.

yes its the strut bearing, my 04 grand am does it, unless its wet, like if your driving in the rain so water flings up in there.

20

My noise sounded like bearing crunching during a right turn. I pulled the starter and it did have a faulty starter drive. The drive gear would easily slide either way when you tilt the starter. Find an empty parking lot you can do right turns and hear the noise, if you shut off the engine while in a right turn and the noise stops, then it's the starter.

i have a 2005 lacrosse cxl and when I turn right it makes a loud dull whinning sound...im hopping that someone knows what that is or any recalls for that vehicle

my 2006 pontiac grand prix was making a creaking sound when i started accelerating and breaking as well as slight inclines and turning right, it resembled the sound of a creaking haunted house door. If your car is making a creaking or popping sound you might want to tighten up the bolts on the support bar that crosses over the top of your battery, when i tightened these 3 bolts, 2 in front and 1 in back , it fixed the creaking noise that my car was making.