MIL PLUG FOR INSPECTIONS

Asked by Jan 30, 2016 at 04:49 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

Went to get car inspected and the MIL
PLUG. That the connect computer to for
inspection has no power what could be the
problem?

72,225

Is the smoke lighter working? Check that fuse, check fuses.

No the cigarette lighter don't work, every time we put new fuse in it pops it right away

72,225

I do believe the ALDL connector for the scanner is tied in with the circuit for the cigarette lighter. Comes off the same power source. Try and fix the cigarette lighter circuit. It has a short somewhere, maybe just keeping the heater element out would keep the fuse from blowing. Stick in a new fuse and try it.

How do we take heater element out?what is that?

72,225

The thing that lights the cigarette.

Going to try right now thank you

It worked. ...the fuse did not pop. ..so that means we should have power to the mil plug now right

72,225

Right ON! Should have power for the scanner at the ALDL connection.

Best Answer

Thank you very much. .appreciate all your advice.

72,225

Your welcome.

I got another problem also,my dad has is temporarily rigged so I have taillights for now,but every time we change fuse for taillights, n dash lights the fuse pops as soon as we turn ON the headlights . N the fog lights only work on high beams

We change the fuse under the hood but when turn on headlights the fuse pops it's for the parking lamp. When exiting the car it beeps like I left the lights on

72,225

So that can be a fun one, so you have your tail lights rigged to work and they do work? ON / OFF? Where did he wire into? At the moment I am thinking the headlight switch. Popping fuses mean that there is a short somewhere.

The taillights work only when I clamp this metal clAmp to the wire running from the fuse box, when I turn headlights on. ..no taillights or park lights unless I hook clamp to the wire. ..I think he ran wire from fuse box that's hanging by my headlight switch. ,and then wire to taillights n when I connect the metal little clamp to the wire it spark a little bit n leave connected and I have taillights, ,was told it could be head light switch so we changed that didn't work. .so that when he ran the wires temporary till we figure out y the fuse pops soon as we turn head light on..and I have no dash lights can't see hoe fast I'm going at dark time. N my radio works but not the display on the radio cannot see what channel it's on.

72,225

Wiring is one of those things that is hard to diagnose from where I sit. Tracing wires, confirming circuits are working, looking for shorts, etc. Having a test light for checking circuits really helps.

Ok thank you, appreciate all advice has helped very much