what can i look for

5

Asked by Jun 15, 2012 at 03:40 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

engine wont start mechanic checked every thing gave up, any thing else should wee check

299,655

To fire the engine, you need a spark and fuel. Sounds like you need a new mechanic. Tell us what all that your mechanic checked and maybe we can help you without going into 20 different senario's.

1,215

Remember, both the spark and the injection of the fuel must be done at the proper time. I do agree, I think we only have a little piece of the complete story, more details are necessary for effective troubleshooting.

you need three things to make an engine fire, air , fuel & spark, it's not that hard to figure out which one is not working. its a good thing your mechanic gave up, gives you a better chance to fix it yourself. if you have spark & it still doesn't start check for fuel pressure, most common is the fuel pump & filter.

5

Hi if was that simple I only wish I have spark and gas to the rail if I through gas in the air in take it will start for a few seconds could it be a broken valve spring? Thank u and have a nice day.

1,215

The fuel has to be delivered to the injectors at the prescribed pressure (whatever it is for that engine) if it isn't there will be problems. I understand that you don't know a whole lot about the workings of your car but I think you need a different mechanic and at the VERY LEAST get a Chilton's manual for your car. Good luck with it I hope you find the problem, GP's are great cars. I drive a 2000 GTP and it's got 135K on it and going strong. Keep us informed and if I can I will try to help you out but you have to help yourself by getting the book on your car.

its not a valve spring .if you pour gas into the trottle body and it starts then you're not getting any fuel , check the fuel pump. turn the key on and listen for a humming noise from under the car if you dont hear anything , support the car on jack stands and check for power at the purple wire,at the plug for the pump, it should only have power for a few seconds so you will need somebody else to turn the key on . if you have power there , you need a fuel pump & filter.

5

Hi as I mention before I do have gas coming to the rails. My mechanic thinks it,s the computer, is he right .I heard a big bang before she went to idle at 2000 r pm then stopping ,do u have any clue ,thanks .