2002 pontiac grand prix

90

Asked by Aug 16, 2016 at 01:01 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

Changed intake gasket,car drove perfect for a
week or so,no problems,parked the car,came out
next morning car turned over but wouldn't start and
noticed the temp light stayed on,wondering what I
can do to get the light off .

56,815

Check the electrical plug at the coolant temperature sensor. Make sure it's plugged in and that the wires aren't pinched. If everything is good, unplug it, yes unplug the coolant temperature sensor. The light should now be off and the gauge at the160°F mark. The cooling fans should be running on high speed as well. If so, the sensor is most likely bad. Replace it with an AC Delco one. These cars are fussy about aftermarket temperature sensors. HTH. - Jim

90

Waiting on my battery , took it out to charge it so it would have a full charge and I will do that,would that keep my car from starting .?

90

Ok I unplugged the coolant temperature sensor ,the light stayed on and the car still won't start,,,,

56,815

Check the wiring going from the temperature sensor back into the larger wiring harness. For that light to stay on something is shorted to ground. A bare or pinched wire for example. Also inspect the wiring at the ignition coil control module. I'm thinking you don't have spark and that's why it won't start. If you have some starting fluid spray a little down the throttle body. If it will run a few seconds on the starting fluid it's a fuel problem. If not, it's an ignition (no spark) problem. Check your fuses as well. When you did the intake manifold gaskets did you first disconnect the negative (-) battery cable before beginning the repair? Check the connections at the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor as well. Also the connections for the mass airflow sensor, IAC, throttle position sensor, and EGR valve. Is this the 3.8 or the 3.1? HTH. -Jim

90

3.1 and I took the battery completely out,yea my battery won't stay charged very long after I put it inOk,iwhen I turn on the car I can here the gas pump come,and no I'm not getting a spark,i pulled spark plug wire put screwdriver in it cranked and no spark,i will check all wires tomorrow for pinch spots and tape them to make sure,,

90

From running great to dead overnight.that's what I don't understand

56,815

Sounds like a blown fuse. In addition to the temperature light being on is the gauge pinned at the top, 260° mark as well? -Jim

90

No ,the temp gauge is on 0 below bottom line,i inspected all connectors,no pinched wires,regrounded my battery to chassis,checked the ground at solenoid,it was fine ,had plate tested under coil packs it was fine and still no spark,and the battery light and the temp light still on,,i had a freind jump car so I know the car had plenty of juice at battery,I inspected all fusses.all fusses good,I'm stumped.

56,815

The battery light on is normal with the engine not running. Do you have power to the ignition control module? HTH. -Jim

90

Haven't probed it,as soon as it stops raining I'll test it and let you know ,,,

90

Took the ignition control panel down and tested,turned out fine,

90

Do you mean test the connectors going to the ignition control panel,the three that plug into it .?

90

Did you give up on me ?

56,815

Nope. The attached picture (sorry for the poor quality) is directly from the factory shop manual. Both the ignition and temperature indicator being on seem to have a common denominator. A bad ground. Check the connections at the PCM as well as the engine ground straps/wires. The fact that the temperature light is on but the gauge is working correctly indicates that the circuit for the light is shorted to ground. Since unplugging the coolant temperature sensor didn't put the light out it has to be in the wiring. I'm thinking that the PCM isn't grounded or maybe has a bad connection. But check all the engine grounds to be sure. Let me know what you find out. If you can't blow up the picture and read it, let me know and I'll try again. HTH. -Jim

56,815

One other thing. If you have a scan tool, scan the PCM. Do you get a trouble code P1673? -Jim

90

No picture

90

I gave up on it,took it to shop and will let you know how it turns out