Can I replace my 3.1 litre and trans in my 02 se with the 3.8 litre and trans and harness out of my 2000 grand prix gt ?

Asked by Aug 30, 2015 at 03:08 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT that was hit in the rear and totaled, but it is low mileage and runs good. Then I have a 2002 Grand Prix SE that has a good body and is in good condition but has a wrist pin out of it and cylinder damage. I am hoping, since I own both cars I can take the 3.8 engine, trans., and harness out of the 2000 and just swap everything into my 2002 that has the 3.1. Anybody know? Thanks.

2,515

you might be able to do this there are some things to look for check the motor and trans mounts and see if they are in the same location. if they are check the wiring on the motors and see if they are the same which they might be.if you are going to do this its going to take some work is the wiring is the same and the brain boxs have the same pin combination all you might have to do is trade out brain boxs and put the motor in using the wire harness in the car. if it is different you will have to use the wiring and the brain from the car you are taking the motor out of. if you need to take pictures and side by side compair them to each other look for differences

75,795

You should be able to with minimum hassle. The two cars are basically the same. You'll need to change the PCM with the engine and transmission. Keep a record of the doner car's VIN just in case you ever need to replace the PCM. The new PCM, at that time, will need to be programmed using that VIN. Also grab the BCM (Body Control Module) from the doner car. In case there's any security system issues. I don't believe that there will be but it's better to have the BCM and not need it. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
4,655

As usual I'm going to play devil's advocate here. As others have stated the project may well be do-able, but you're going to spend a ton of time and a good bit of money (even though you own both cars... trust me on this one) creating one worthless car out of two worthless cars. If you have nothing else to do, and a high level of tolerance for frustration then fly at it. But if you have better things to do, get rid of your two boat anchors and find a GP that's already running. There are lots of very nice ones around for not very much money and you can be back on the road tomorrow instead of 18 months from now. Just my two cents worth.