Running Hot

40

Asked by May 20, 2017 at 07:57 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

My car runs great. The oil looks greats. I have plenty
of water in it but today on my way home ; it started
running hot.  I need to know what's wrong because
I have to get to work.

73,055

Well, you do not want to overheat your engine. That could cause all kinds of damage, so I wouldn't be driving it until it is fixed. If the engine just started to run hot, then more than likely the thermostat is stuck closed, causing a restriction in the cooling system, and making the engine run hot. If you change out the thermostat yourself, remember to purge the cooling system from the air pockets when refilling it.

40

Thanks. But that's the only transportation I have too work at the time

73,055

Don't know what to tell you. Driving it hot will only strand you somewhere, cost you an engine, and make you find other means to get to work without your car. The problem needs to be found and fixed.

40

Do you think I ran it too much today ? I went on a hour & 30 minute drive yesterday and drove a hour and 30 minutes back this morning. Then I came Home for a few seconds and got right back in my car for a quick run too the store.

73,055

How hot is is getting? Is the coolant level full, or is it boiling out. And do you notice the radiator fans turning on? You driving it this much makes me wonder how hot is it getting? Because if there were a serious issue, you would have ben stranded, smoke everywhere, and the engine would not have started so easily.

40

It just started getting hot today after the second time I get in it. The temp went above the normal temperature. When I looked under the hood , it was a little taste of water coming out but it wasn't near the engine.

73,055

Where was the water, or coolant coming from? Is the coolant level full. So far by the sounds of it you haven't caused any damage to the engine. Need to keep it that way. This needs to be looked at before taking it back to work, that is too long of a drive for it.

40

I can't really explain where the water was coming from but it wasn't nowhere the engine. & my drive too work is 30 mins

73,055

You can do what you want, but your not going to talk me into saying it is ok to drive without having any problems. Right now you only have a small problem. Tomorrow taking it to work your going to have a big problem.

69,325

If it's heating up while driving it's most likely a coolant circulation problem as Rowefast said. The thermostat, restricted radiator, or water pump. Or the lower radiator hose may be collapsing. If it's heating up at slower speeds or idle it's going to be an airflow problem. Such as the radiator cooling fans not coming on. Do you have heat from the heater? If not, you're low on coolant, there's air in the cooling system, or the water pump is failing. Do you know if the lower intake manifold gaskets have been done? If you're between about 90,000 and 120,000 miles they're suspect. In severe overheating conditions the computer will protect the engine by firing alternating cylinders. The cylinders that are not firing act as an air pump to push excess heat out the exhaust system. You can drive, according to GM, at reduced speeds up to 50 miles this way. But this feature is designed for emergency situations to get you home or to the nearest service facility for repairs. It's not designed for you to keep driving the vehicle indefinitely with the engine overheating!! HTH. -Jim