I have a 2002 pontiac grand prix where i have tail lights, reverse lights and the side lamp but do not have break lights or blinkers. It is this way on both sides

Asked by Jan 18, 2016 at 11:02 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Does the high mount stop light work? When you put on the 4way flashers do the rear lights flash? If yes to both we know the brake light switch is working and power can get to the bulbs. I'd suspect the turn signal switch in the steering column. The high mount stop light is wired directly from the brake light switch but the outboard brake lights pass through the turn signal switch. The 4way switch overrides the turn signal switch when pressed. I'm assuming, of course you checked the bulbs? HTH. - Jim

The high mount brake light works. The hazards do not. Do not have break lights

Ok, remove the passenger's side taillight assembly and you'll see a large bundle of wires. Follow the wires from the light socket down to it. Look for a large plug in that area. Unplug it and see if you have power at that point. If you do, the problem is in the taillight harness. While your there, check the ground connections as well. You should also inspect the sockets for rust and corrosion. These taillight lenses tend to separate and allow water to get in. When I replaced the taillight lenses on my '00 there was about a cup of water in each! In the mean time I'll get out my '00 shop manual. It has wiring diagrams that will help us. HTH. -Jim

I will try that. I replaced 1 socket and it did not make a difference

That plug is going to be in the trunk behind the trunk liner. See the picture from the '00 Factory Shop Manual.

Here's the wiring diagram. You're looking at the yellow wire on the left socket and the dark green wire on the right socket. HTH. - Jim

How do you get the harness apart. It seems to have glue in it. I checked the small plug on the trunk wall and there is some sort of power it seem but can not get harness apart. It looks like it is plastic with some sort of filler