is Bars Leak not good for your car

Asked by Jan 07, 2016 at 04:02 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

in the process of having the upper intake manifold changed we Bars Leak in and it didnt help the problem out at all. the car is still losing fluid (not knowing where the fluid is going because there are no signs of a leak under the car) i am at a complete loss

150,595

There are different opinions on this, and I respect them, but personally I would never put that stuff in my engine.

150,595

This is their claim: "Scientifically formulated to permanently seal coolant leaks that are the cause of most overheating problems. Liquid Aluminum is part of the next generation stop leak line which not only seal leaks, but also conditions the system. Contains Xtreme Cool which stops overheating and reduces water temperature. It is guaranteed to safely and easily seal leaks in plastic, aluminum and metal (copper / steel) radiators, heater cores, gaskets and freeze plugs". End Quote. If it sounds too good to be true, then it is. It just seems to me that is one heck of a claim to advertise. In an emergency if was stranded in the middle of nowhere, I would just keep adding water

52,035

I too would pass on the Bars Leak. The only anti-leaks I use is Alumaseal and Subaru's brand specific anti-leak for their cars.

17,800

I have used bars leak with great results but it just really depends on how big the hole is with any brand of stop leak.

3,775

Bars Leak has been around for decades and will not harm your cooling system or engine in any way. It does have limitations though. If the leak is too huge it won't work. I "fixed" the leaky gaskets in my '03 GTP 5 years ago with it and have had no further problems although I do add a couple of quarts of coolant about once a year, so I know its still seeping a little bit. It did take two applications to achieve results, which is the maximum amount recommended by Bars Leak. If two applications don't do it then you're going to have to bite the bullet and replace some gaskets.