had a used engine put in my 2002 GP. left the shop. now when I go left or straight, it sounds like a truck, took it back 5 times, they kept saying number 6 spark plug ( which was changed 3 times. only time it isn't loud is when I turn right. currently it's louder! was told could be wheel bearings need greasing, have you ever heard of this?

Asked by Dec 13, 2015 at 05:12 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

The noise sounds to me like it stuck in wrong gear. You know like when u
drive a stick, and it in 3rd, when it should be in 4th. It wasn't marking this
noise til that used engine was put in.

63,245

Did they change the lower motor/transmission mount? They should have. These are prone to failure. Check the exhaust pipe at the back of the engine. There's a flex piece there. It's actually part of the catalytic converter assembly. It could be damaged or broken and when you turn the engine/transmission shifts allowing the flex piece to open up and make noise. Since this point of the exhaust is beyond the upstream oxygen sensor it probably won't trigger the service engine soon light and set an oxygen sensor code. HTH. -Jim

135

Not sure of the engine, but this does sound like a bad wheel bearing, The right bearing is probably bad because you said the noise goes away when you turn right, but get louder if you turn left this is because when you turn right most of the weight of the car actually goes to the left, so when you turn left more of the weight is on the right side of the car making the noise, Just replaced mine in my 98 Grand Prix with the same problem as you just without the engine being replaced, I did the wheel bearings myself and saved a ton of money, exhaust leak and engine problem are also a possibility although this seems to be wheel bearings to me.

63,245

Just remember these are hub bearing assemblies and are not greaseable. HTH. -Jim

135

Yea however told you that they needed grease must not know that the Grand Prix have to buy new hub assemblies not just bearings, got both of mine for about $140, but I bought performance bearings which are a little more.

3,785

It sounds like maybe a plastic shield or cover in the vicinity of one of the front wheels is rubbing against the tire when you drive. Get underneath, with a light if its dark, and have a look around. All those plastic shields and guards were probably off during the engine swap and its easy for one to get put in wrong, or to come loose.