"Low Coolant" Indicator Light stays on constantly

Asked by Aug 22, 2014 at 03:16 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. Had coolant added six months ago at shop and "Low Coolant"
indicator light came on two days after coolant added. Shop said they reset the indicator light
but it stays on despite enough coolant in system and it runs great.The shop is not helping me.

108,845

If you sure it's got enough coolant probably a faulty sensor. Un plug the sensor. (Most are on bottom of resivior) if light then goes out replace sensor.

108,845

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2010/02/2002-pontiac-grand-prix- changing-low.html -- check this out. Yours is on passenger side of radiator couple inches down from the filler cap.

65,075

Sometimes these sensors will get dirty and the light will stay on. Also, if they replaced the radiator, the hole where the sensor attaches to the radiator must be drilled out. Otherwise the sensor will be dry and the light will stay on. HTH. -Jim

605

If the shop cannot figure it out, you should go somewhere else because they are not any good, or change the sensor yourself.

65,075

These sensors can be a little tricky. I checked the factory shop manual for my '00 Grand Prix. It talks about how the low coolant light may stay on for two to three days after replacement or cooling system service. This is normal and the customer should be advised accordingly. HTH. -Jim