2002 grand prix stock radio quit

Asked by Dec 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

radio screen went blank and there is nothing that happens when on/off is pushed the two fuses are good (amp) and radio even replaced  them, bought new used factory unit and it is the same as if no power is going to radio is there another power source  other than listed in manual cuz how can two radios have the same problem? its as if a fuse is blown yet everything else works,.... im stumped

well any device needs a positive (where the fuses are) and the NEGATIVE connection...well yours hasn't any kind of negative connection...or is clobbered up to a "semi-conductor" level....break out the wirebrush (steal dad's barbeque brush) and get rid of all the corrosion off the main ground lug....1/0 CABLE off the battery to the ground...feel like a stuck parrot these days~

4,505

If you have a simple circuit tester, pull the connector off the back of the radio and check for power. If you have power, then you either have another bad radio, or a bad ground at the radio chassis, as Judge_roy says. If there's no power at the radio connector, you have a bad harness or bad connection in the harness. I believe there are two connectors on the harness that feeds the power from your fuse panel to the radio. (You can find wiring diagrams online). Sometimes just working under the dash can loosen the connector on an older car. It can be a chore to trace; some people just run new power lines and bypass the harness. Good luck!

60,965

Check to make sure the fuse "tabs" are making good contact with the metal slots in the fuse box. Also, using a 12 volt DC test light, turn the ignition on and make sure you have power at these two fuse slots. You'll only have power on one side of each of the fuse slots. If there's no power there, check the underhood fuse box. I'm guessing all is good under the hood or you'd have other accessories out too. HTH. -Jim

sounds like it went for an involuntary swim~ I'd be reaching for the spray bottle of wd-40 to chase away any moisture first things first~