2002 pntiac grand prix gt won't shut all the way off so I can get my key out of the ignition

Asked by Dec 28, 2012 at 01:40 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

We can get the key out sometimes.  We pulled a plug under the steering wheel and inserted a straw and that released the key.  Then we were told to turn the key to the on position and leave it for 10 minutes and then turn it off for 10 secs, 3 times and then see if we can get the key out.  This is supposed to reset something..well, for some reason my battery went dead.  Never had any problems with my battery before...Note...I don't think it is a disconnected wire under where the gear shifter is because it will shut off and let the key come out sometimes.   Any ideas?

236,845

Sounds like your iginiton switch and or your ignition lock cylinder need replacing. Then charge or replace your battery.

33,615

You did the passlock 2 security reset procedure and that has nothing to do with what is going on with your car. Tom's correct.