Will not go into any gear, The Tranny fluid seems ok.

15

Asked by Oct 15, 2007 at 12:53 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Car started over revving, then stopped at a stop sign, would not go. tried all other gears, nothing. tranny fluid doesn't smell burnt but I did find very faint black deposits on the dipstick.

14,565

The transmission fluid may not smell burnt, but it may not be its original color. The fluid should be the consistency of motor oil (a little more viscous) and clear with a nice red tint. If it's now a brown color then it could still be burnt. I would still concentrate on the black deposits. This is definitely not a good sign from the automotive gods. Have it checked out by AAMCO or Cottman - a transmission specialist nonetheless.

15

Probably closer to a brown than a light red. Thanks for the help.

95

You might want to check the linkage and make sure it hasn't broke from the transmission. If transmission will not go into any gear then you probably snapped a band inside the transmission. Both AAMCO and Cottman will suggest you replace the entire transmission.