Loosing coolant in 2002 grand prix 3.8liter engine

35

Asked by Nov 03, 2015 at 05:53 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe

I start my car and when I look under car I have a pool of coolant under passengers side of engine. Already replaced water pump and belt tensioner. Coolant loss is near radiator of car.

125

Have you checked the radiator hoses, or the little intake hose . That's what it sounds like.

35

haven't checked that little intake hose radiator hose is good.

69,275

When you did the belt tensioner did you replace the plastic elbows? Metal ones are now available. They hold up better than the plastic. Or if you're talking about the passenger's side front area of the car it may be the lower radiator hose. It's right there at the bottom of the radiator under the filler cap side. Have the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets been replaced? If you're not sure, how many miles are on the car? They will fail between 90,000 and 120,000 miles. HTH. -Jim

35

My car has less than 90,000 miles on it and replaced the elbows when changed belt tensioner came with plastic ones like was on it before. Never has had the manifold gaskets replaced.

69,275

Remove the plastic top cover and look for signs of leaking around the intake manifold. It may be leaking externally and running down. On my Nephew's '00 Grand Prix GT it showed up as little pools of coolant near the back of the manifold. If this is what's going on have both the upper and lower intake gaskets done. Even if the lower isn't leaking yet. It will! Also, replace the plastic upper intake (upper plenum) don't reuse the old one. They crack! Pull the oil dipstick and look under the oil filler cap for white milky "goop". If it's there the intake gaskets are shot. Immediately after the repair have the oil changed twice to clean out the lubrication system in the engine. Otherwise you can wind up with a spun bearing! BTW my Nephew's gaskets failed at 95,000 miles. HTH. -Jim

35

All my leaking coolant is up by radiator no where near engine block at all