transmission slip/problems

10

Asked by Apr 19, 2014 at 11:02 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe

Hi i have a 02 Grand Prix GT and the trans. is starting to slip a lot during the shift more
recently, but before it was slipping it was shifting really hard from gear to gear so there
is something wrong with it. it has 165000 miles on it and i got the car for 4000$ 8
months ago. so my question to you is, should i pay to have a transmission rebuilt or
buy new or whats causing this, and if you think that it is worth it and would pay off in
the long run or should i just get a new car. the car is in decent condition and everything
works for the most and has miner wear.
Thanks Avery

2,195

I'm sure the 1st. thing you did was check the fluid level right? I had a tranny that slipped when cold cause it was low on fluid. It does sound like from the symptoms you mentioned & the mileage that the tranny is going bad. It's a tough call what to do. A rebuilt tranny is expensive and then what if something else goes next. If you buy another car who's to say there might be problems with that. If you really love the car I would invest in it. Either way, I have learned cars can be costly. I wish you luck.

10

yes had the shop "service" it but that helped for a week or two so the fluid is good in it. thanks!

2,195

Repost from from another grand prix owner = you may be losing vaccum. we have 95 gran prix that did that once and did all kinds of things to it flushed , new fluid , new filter, added treatment, . no luck until a friend a trans specialist took out back of his shop showed me same type trans laying ground and showed the rubber vacum lines. they dry rot and lose vacum. i replaced them problem solved.

95

it is likely the transmission they only last usually 120000 to 150000 so yours even longer than average if the rest of the car is in good shape ie the body and engine suspension and brakes tires than i would put the tranny in because unless you go with a new car and you cant get pontiacs anymore you would have to go with another car the only thing would be either a montecarlo or camaro and as for your tranny i would goto a transmission shop that will give you a warranty

20

Transmission pressure/shift solenoid. It's a $27.99- 81.00 part, but you gotta partially tear the tranny apart to do it. For my 2002 40th anniversary edition, 1st and reverse gears were fine, 2nd and 3rd would slip. Added a quart of Lucas tranny slip to it, really helped, but still had to be light on the throttle to get it to 4th/overdrive for the torque converter lock up. The reason the Lucas treatment worked is because it's thick stuff, raises the pressure to make the solenoid function. My 99gtp on the other hand, has taken abuse from a very modified motor and have had no issues with the HD tranny, but then again that's built a lot better overall. I've replaced those solenoids for numerous friends, as well as the intake plenum as well. And friends gtp's we went with aftermarket valve covers because after two recalls, we took matters into our own hands. If you can, do the work yourself, then you may as well replace all of the torque bands while you're at it, those are less then $10 a piece. Gonna do it, do it right, no worries for 200,000 miles. Use correct synthetic fluids, and my two gp's are both over 214,*** and holding strong. I only use Valvoline max life full synthetic oil, 10w30, regardless of temp and I live in NW Minnesota, it gets cold. Dex 6 or whatever it is up to now, synthetic power steering fluid, dot 5 brake fluid, Chevron techron fuel system treatment, prestone universal coolant, 60/40 mix for just over -40 temps up here.

30

When your 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix wont go into reverse or drive do that mean the transmission is gone but it still cranks up fine and sounds good