2002 pontiac grand prix antifreeze coolant leak

115

Asked by Mar 31, 2013 at 09:42 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe

My antifreeze is leaking on ground near the firewall on the pass. side directly straight down below the alternator under the belt. also now there is a sloshing sound behind the dashboard now.

pump the coolant loop up by putting a pressure checker on the radiator, and watch where's it gushing from....it it's just a hose replace it, hopefully it's not the heatercore, but may not be such a tough job on your Pontiac.

27,255

Sound like a heater core leak and it coming out of the evap. Drain onthe firewall. But im not there so i cant be sure. Have the cooling system pressure tested and observe where the leak it coming from

115

thanks. Is it expensive to get it pressure checked

27,255

Shouldnt be i guess it depends on where you go

115

I looked under ythe car on the pass side just between the oil pan anothe small pan just above a coil looking thing, it's all wet there and dripping

3,150

Meanwhile don't let anti freeze level too low. At the store u can get pre mixed anti-freeze that's already to go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-69258.html ~~not all that cheap, but you'd be able to pressure test all the cars in the neighborhood~

115

does it mean anything when your in park and you rev the engine and in gurgles

nah, eighty bucks thru amazon or harbor freight---can't duck the cost~

yes Jrock40, it means there is air in the cooling loop~

Best Answer
115

is there any quick way to get it out

3,150

Look with a bright light and feel around to find the leak, might be something so simple to fix. Loose clamp, short section of hose you could do yourself. When you run the engine, and get it warmed, it will pressurize itself. Top it off with fluid cold, run it till operating temp. Then shut it off at that time trace leak find out source of leak.

115

thanks

there might be a "convenience" shroeder valve near the high-point at the heat exchanger...use this to 'belch' the system of air, else take off the top hose to the heat exhanger enough time to let the air out~

97,155

You don't want to drive around with low coolant. It's a sure way to blow your head gasket from overheating. Fill the coolant reservoir, get the engine up to temperature, try to spot where it is leaking from. Bleed the air out using these instructions. http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/faq.php? faq=maint_repair#faq_cooling_serv