are there any things to know about bars leak before using like for instance don't leave it in your car below zero will it still work?

205

Asked by Dec 30, 2012 at 12:05 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe

bought 2 containers of bars leak for a water pump leak in my car.  i left them in the trunk only to pick
them up & they were frozen solid & didn't even get to use them.  do i thaw them or will i have to buy
more?

97,145

You could probably thaw it. You might want to put it in a larger container is the bottle is split. Using any stop leak product is not recommended because it clogs radiators and heater cores.

66,175

I agree, replacing the leaking water pump is the way to go. It's not a hard job on either the 3.4L or the 3.8L engines. A bit more involved on the 3.8L but still not that bad. GM recommends putting the stop leak pellets in when the cooling system is serviced but I'd stay away from anything the manufacturer doesn't recommend. HTH. -Jim

205

I might just have a little bit of a problem as I didn't put those bottles into another container when I left. I left them up on top of my fridge about an hour from here which makes me wonder now if I will get my deposit back now that you said "thawing" part. Whats the worse case scenario here? I think it would be better to just buy another bottle I just hope I don't have a mess to clean up as my lease is up in May or July or well even sooner now I hope not!!!

5,660

Bars leak is a good product. But most stop leak products will not fix or stop a water pump from leaking. Chrysler puts it in at the factory from what I have heard

12,805

Any leak repair/clogging agent should be used as a temporary fix. If you have air anywhere in your cooling system while having leak repair in it you will cause sludge and blockage. If you do use these products get the cause of the leak fixed asap and flush system completely.

2,905

replace the water pump.

Best Answer
475

Replace your waterpump. The leak will only became larger as the water pump becomes more worn out. Those anti-leak and sealers aren't really good for anything they just clog up coolant passages and cause more problems inside the engine.

you can thawal it and it wont freeze in your radiator with antifreeze, but my experience with it was only a temp fix,,I latter had to replace the radiator