How much should these repairs cost?

Asked by Apr 29, 2012 at 06:49 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe

I have a 2002 Pontiac grand am, engine light came on but car runs great.  Gas mileage has been low.  Took to
mechanic and said needed mass air flow sensor and spark plugs.  Charge $860!  I went to auto zone and
purchased parts for less than $200.  Should labor be that high? My teenaged son ticketed around and said he can
change the sensor with the right tools, says it pops right out.  Is it that simple? Are we being suckered by the
mechanic? Are there other steps we need to take to change the  sensor?  Please help!!!

293,785

Usually auto shops will double the cost of the parts, (to make money), and then charge their labor charge, which can be $80 on up , on top of that. So those parts you bought for under $200, would be close to $400 at the shop. Another 4 hours of labor sounds high to me. You can always get another est. from a competeting shop. Swapping a MAF sensor, will be easy, some clamps and a plug. The spark plugs might require your son to remove some parts of the engine to get to all of the plugs. Some cars require you to remove the intake. Check some online sources and pontiac forums to find some more information. Good Luck!

Thank you, very helpful information!

1,505

Im with Tom here -- it does sound a little high, but possible since the back spark plugs are a nightmare to do, they also didnt get the parts from AutoZone(the cheapest and worst place to buy parts)

625

the sensor only takes 10 min to change and the labor for the spark plugs should only be about an hour. so they are playing with the numbers somewhere.

90

Lol .. Did you have it scanned? Do yourself a favor and spend the 80 dollar diagnostic fee on a scanner it'll tell you what is wrong and you go from there... A Mac sensor? Don't make me laugh tell them to get you a junkyard one they're great mafs protected by screen... Did they do a 5 dollar cleaning? The mac sensor cleAner costs 5, the screwdriver you need is Also 5, both returnable if hey don't fix problem you use very little. Invest in a spark plug changing kitor just buy the scanner and report back. My check light is on due to low cat efficiency but I passed Ontario emissions as hard as California! If the light flashes you haE misfirev

90

The guy uP top doesn't have a grand prix... The rear Plugs are a joke if you have the right tools, FYI watch the o2... I hit mine but replaced it anyhoodle. You don't need to move anyhow.. Helll I have f*ing headers and I don't gotta move anything! Just get flex head ratchet for spark plug RemOval kit from AZ and pb blaster... No cheap ing out on wd40 as it is useless. My grand am gave me probs as it was a 96

I purchase my MAF sencor @ a savage car parts shop and paid $80 with warranty for 30 days and I purchase parts for a tune-up for my 01 Grand Prix GT the parts was about $80 dollars and the labor was $50 dollars. There for so many people out of work today paid the machanic who is out of work and will give you a fair price I will even give him more than he ask for if he is known for being good at working on cars. I was told that it would cost me $70 to change my MAF sencor by a street machine and $179 to purchase the part, so I ask a Autoz to show me the MAF sencor and what tool would I need to take it off and they did I purchase it and with the help of a young man the shop put it on for me the cost was 00 so I give him $40 dollars for saving me some money to pay for other parts or work on my car. ........................................LayDee511

107,925

Common Pontiac DIY's - http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/faq.php? faq=maint_repair#faq_cooling_serv

395

Rockauto.com and rear plugs are easy money. unbolt the front motor mounts, use a rachet strap to pull the engine forward and you have plenty of access to the rear bank. MAF sensors are easy to change out.

Thanks better than everyone else that don't know nothing.