What is the normal temp of a 2001 Pontiac grand prix se suppose to be? N with ac running?

10

Asked by Aug 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

My car runs hot going up hill n in traffic. Hoses r new, fans work, did the air bleeder, new thermostat, no leak frm water pump, what's my next step.

83,375

the fans should turn on at no hotter than 220 degrees then it should cool down to around 195 or so, then do it all over again. but if the cooling fans are running and you are still gaining temp then there is either a air flow blockage on the outside of the radiator or an internal coolant blockage inside the radiator. visually check for bugs, dirt, foreign material blocking air flow anywhere in front of the radiator including the A/C condenser. If it is all clean then you will have to get the radiator flow tested.

355

Temp gauge should be no higher then 150 degrees .. Never use plain water in your radiator ,always use a top brand Anti -Freeze such as Prestone !!

83,375

Whoa friar this isn't the 50's any more, today's cars run very warm, with a base thermostat of 197 degrees. Your right about never running plain water, it fouls up the PH in the cooling system not to mention the boiling point.

40

My thermostat, GM 50/50 Coolant, Radiator Hoses have been changed by GM Technician and the temperature did read just about halfway between the 2-3 marker, although now after being done, the reading is right at the middle or on the 3 marker and when idle in park it slowly rises. This has never occurred - why after this... ?

83,375

Do you know what temp thermostat was in it before and what he put in it as a replacement. It is a possibility that it had a cooler thermostat in it then it was suppose to have and he put it back to stock temp. Just to make sure check the coolant level cold. If it is low add coolant only, no water.

40

The temp of the thermostat when it was replaced was 195 degrees, and it was replaced with the same. That is why I cannot understand why the gauge read higher than before. I will check and see if possibly the fins on the Condenser and radiator are clogged with debris, however it operated fine before, so I have doubt that is the problem. If it loses coolant what would cause that ? I have not filled it with coolant as of yet. Would the water pump not operate normal and leaks be inside the pump. There is no water/oil mix so the head casket is not the problem.