Why would the anti freeze eat it already in 2 days after i poured the anti freeze to enough?

Asked by Feb 28, 2014 at 10:52 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

I did pour the anti freeze to enough in one day, then it already ate the anti freeze in two days, what is going on?

Have you pulled the dipstick for your oil lately? Check it. If the stick is all milky and looks like a coffee latte, then that's where it's going. Or it is boiling out of your overflow hose while you're driving. You could also be burning it and passing it through your exhaust. Is your exhaust really white when you start the vehicle. I know it will be hard to tell if you live in a state where it is zero out every day now. How has your engine temp been?

I live in Nebraska. I did take my car to shop to changed the oil and tranmission to change everything from last 2 weeks ago. I don't know why it ate anti freeze in two days after i poured to enough of anti freeze. It does sometimes overheated. I have to take my car to shop next week to get new steering pump, ball joints for front. Will get new ball joints for back next time.

If it's starting to over heat then have them change out the thermostat also. I'm going to say that's probably causing you to lose the antifreeze. If you just got an oil change and they didn't find anything abnormal, then it's not going into your oil. Which is great. After they change the thermostat out, if you're still losing antifreeze, you may have air in the system. Have you changed out your radiator, water pump or anything major lately?

It could be a failed head gasket and it might be going straight out the exhaust and not showing up in the oil. Head gaskets and intake gaskets fail on these cars regularly. I got my intake leak to stop with a couple of cans of Barss Leak. I know its only a temporary fix, but having said that its been 18 months and its pretty well stopped. I still top up my cooling system a couple of times a year, but I can live with that for now. Mine isn't showing up in the oil either,

Dorian Hendricks

I had a bad coolant leak coming from my heater hose fittings. They are located on the passenger side of the engine underneath the alternator on the tensioner bracket. If you see fluid on that side and you have the 3800 V6 engine, it could be a crack in the heater hose fittings. Dorman part #47065HP