Coolant leak

Asked by Nov 07, 2016 at 09:51 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

I have a coolant leak that I can't find the where abouts, I've
replaced the elbows, and reservoir/reservoir line.

34,665

Check the water pump and the heater hoses. Also check the radiator and the engine for cracks in the block or leaking freeze plugs. You just have to keep looking. Park it on a dry patch of pavement and idle it until you see coolant dripping then look directly above the puddle!

56,775

If you can't see it leaking externally, pull the oil dipstick. If you have white milky "goop" on the dipstick it's going to be the intake manifold gaskets. They're notorious for failure. Especially between 90,000 and 120,000 miles. These engines very rarely blow head gaskets. So if you have the "goop" it'll be the intake gaskets. HTH. -Jim

4,085

It could be leaking over a hose or metal part and running down, which throws u off cause the poodle won't be directly under the leak

3,505

Look around the intake manifold as well. Unfortunately these engines are known for developing leaks as has already been mentioned. While its good to figure out what's leaking, fixing the leak is not always viable on an old car like yours (and mine). My standard advice after making sure its not a leaking hose or radiator is a couple of cans of Bars Leak. Its a safe, cheap and often effective way of taking care of the problem for the balance of the car's life without spending hundreds of dollars on it. "Fixed " the leaky intake manifold on mine 5 years ago without taking anything apart, and so far, so good.