Car doesn't move after stepping on the gas pedal and makes loud noise?

Asked by Dec 11, 2014 at 01:07 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and just recently my car shut down on me. The problem seems to be that when I step on the gas pedal it just makes a loud rattling/clanking noise and the care does not move anymore. The car turns on well but doesn's move when I step on the gas pedal. Any idea on what this issue may be?

33,475

Your engine sounds terminal from your description.

8,640

It could be something has broken in the transmission

605

I agree with Tom sounds like transmission. If you have a standard transmission, it could be clutch related. Have you checked the fluid levels in the transmission, and clutch slave if applicable. Low or no fluid could cause this.

3,825

First of all be very careful about advice received on a site like this. If the car starts and runs fine then there is no reason to think your engine is "terminal". There is nothing in your description that would make us think that. And of course its not clutch related or standard transmission related because its a Grand Prix GTP. It does sound drive line related which leaves the transmission, or possibly a front axle which has worn out and come apart. That will leave the car immobile and could make some clattering noises when you try to move and probably a grinding noise when you put it back into park because the transmission is still spinning. If its a front axle that's not too major and you'll be back on the road for around $500. If its the transmission the car is likely not worth fixing. Think carefully before you pour a ton of money into a car this old. You probably need a real live mechanic to take a look at it at this point. Good luck.