Is this an instrument panel problem?

Asked by Oct 24, 2014 at 04:39 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

My car had a coolant leak, and needed the intake gasket set replaced. I took it to a shop, which did that, but they broke the temperature sensor, and the one they replaced it with was defective. Since they were closing, I brought it back the following week. They said they fixed the temperature sensor, but I drove the car 2 blocks, and it was already at 260 (maximum temperature/red line for this car). I've never had problems with my temperature gauge before this, but the manager said it read as 200 degrees with their diagnostic machine, so it must be my instrument panel. They said they could replace it for a fee.
Is it a coincidence that I have problems with a temperature sensor, then my instrument panel goes out? Is it possible the temperature sensor still isn't fixed, and they just don't want to mess with it? I'm a student on a very small, fixed income, so I need honest answers please!!! Thank you!!!

72,035

I would think if you did not have problem with it before the work,they would fix the problem they made,and it probably is not the guage,that is doing this,i think,in my opinion,your car may be running warm because the intake gasket was not installed right,this happen,s with after market gasket,s,some come with hole,s blocking some water inlet,s,that have to be modified to let water in the head right,if they did not do this,then this is the problem,not the sending unit or your guage.