I have a 2001 pontiac grand prix gtp with a intense burning hair smell comng from exhaust it sputters also when i hit it about half way Please help this is my familys only transportation and im stumpe

30

Asked by Jan 09, 2014 at 08:18 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Hello Scott As strange as it sounds, that may be a small animal that crawled up into your exhaust when your vehicle was sitting for awhile and either got stuck or worse and the heat from the exhaust burnt it's hair.... Chipmunks, cats, squirrels are all common animals looking for warm areas to hide ...Mice as well Possibly??

30

I check not a damn thing and that wouldnt account for the weird sputterng its doing when i go to hit the gas about half way or more.

30

Im really stumped and all the advice. can get.

18,475

The catalytic converter is coming apart in the exhaust possible went in the muffler.It needs to be changed..

Best Answer
30

Okay thank you i didnt know if thats where i should start because eole have told me ten different things and usually do all routine maintence myself but this had me stumpped i truly appreciate the advice and answers

30

How do i check to see if its in the mufflers i have a cat back exhaust with dual mufflers

18,475

glad to help

18,475

Start it up and drive it.See which one is glowing red.

30

Also tuff4x4 if im not mistaken wont local junkyards buy theold one if so what do you think it would go for im in upstate ny by rochester. Im just seeing s they dont try to rip me off because i Know itsbworth mney

18,475

Sorry I thought you said converter. Get under it and shake the exhaust to see if it rattles in either muffler. COLD

18,475

Save every piece you take out. GM sells high.At least $100

30

Yea that part i know hahaha? Not my first time lol. But thank you, so i should replace the cat then rattle exhaust and listen for debris inside. Is that the jist of the idea.

30

Really damn im buying my daughter some new toys and dad gets some jack after the jobs done ibreally appreciate your time sir.

18,475

No problem

18,475

right idea