Does any one the the size of big nut for the hub assembly and the torgue specs of it?

325

Asked by Feb 03, 2016 at 08:48 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

73,065

I believe it is a 34 mm and the torque to be 130-140 foot lbs.

135

I know for 98 it is a 36 mm axle nut, should be the same since they have the same body style. Torque specs are weird for axle nuts. From factory they were torqued to 151, if you are changing the wheel bearing/ hub assembly, the torque spec changes depending on what brand wheel bearing you buy. If you have a SKF hub assembly they suggest 154 for 01-04 model. Either should be fine. I went with the factory spec if that helps.

325

Right now I'm more worried about the size of the Axel nut because the biggest socket have is a 34mm. I don't want to get my wheel off and then find out its not the right size.

73,065

If you are to go buy one just pop the hubcap, center piece off of the rim, go to a parts store and see what fits. I do believe it is the 34mm socket.

73,065

I just did my Impala and I used my 36mm witch was too big, should have ben the 34mm but the 36mm worked just fine. Did not round corners off or nothing on the nut.

135

Unfortunately the only way to find out is to take the wheel off. On my 98 Pontiac Grand Prix the rim is solid so you cant take off the center piece. If they built the car the same way it will be a 36 mm. You can go to an auto part store and rent a 36mm. Since you have a 34mm you should be covered and don't have to go back out. That's they way I would do it. That way if its a 36 you have it and if its a 34 you have it. You get most of the money back when you return the rented tool I think they keep like maybe $10.

4,185

Its weird that GM used different sized nuts from year to year, but from what I've discovered searching this on line it seems they did. Engineers need to be kept busy or they come up with things like this. Anyway... your new axle and/or bearing will come with a new nut as well. I would think its a safe bet it will be the same size as the one you'll be taking off, so while you're at the parts store picking up your part, open the box and check the nut. You'll be able to kill two stones with one bird as Archie Bunker would have said. I hope you're not still trying to fix your tire wear problem, because neither a bad bearing nor a bad axle will cause premature tire wear.

325

The old hub and bearing had alot of play in it, is what the dealer said when that had nothing to with what I asked them to do. I bought a brand hub assembly and now the wheel doesn't have any play in it. Since my car is do for a oil change I'm not gonna rotate the tires and keep the worn one up to see if it gets any worse. What I found weird though the tire is worn evenly across the whole tread. Usually just on side wears

4,185

Sounds like it was due for a new bearing. That does seem like an odd wear pattern. I was thinking shoulder wear as well which wouldn't be bearing related, but perhaps a really bad bearing would cause what you're seeing. I'm also wondering if you have a defective tire. You should rotate your tires now and watch them carefully for wear. Once a tire starts wearing unevenly it often keeps wearing that way even after suspension and alignment issues are addressed. Move it to the back, put a good one on the front and then keep a close eye on both of them for a while to see what happens.

325

The other front tire is perfectly fine so I know its just on that side of the car. The ball joint on the tie rod has grease a little grease on it but there isn't any play in anything now. That old hub assembly had a little less than 1/4 inch of play in it. I want to rotate the tires to other side but I can't since they are directionals

4,185

Can't you rotate them front to back?

325

Yes I'm just afraid it might be suspension problems and it gonna do the same to a good tire and the cost me to much to have replaced. It might just be the tires. When my step dad has his g6 and had the same tires as me and he went though 5 or 6 of them. I think 2 of them blew out while going down the highway and the other I'm not really sure of

4,185

You might want to go back to where you bought the tires then and talk to them. They might replace the bad tire on warranty. However, if your steering wheel is still not centered then you still have a front suspension issue. It's odd that the alignment shop you went to didn't diagnose that. I would try a different shop, or even a body shop that has the proper equipment for identifying bent parts.