The battery light comes and goes after every start up. The has a deeper wine noise to it and hesitates to shift now. This all happened in ones day. Does anyone know what this might be?

325

Asked by Jan 22, 2016 at 11:50 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

67,505

If you notice the whine noise when you drive above about 40 MPH you've lost overdrive. This is a common problem with these transmissions. My '00 is the same. I leave the shifter in 3. You can confirm this by looking at the tachometer. At 55 MPH it should be below 2000 RPMs in overdrive. If you've lost overdrive it will be between 2000 and 2500 RPMs. But since the battery light is coming on the alternator may be dying. If you hear the whining all the time (not at driving speed) it's most likely the alternator. When under load the alternator will whine a bit. But not real loud. With the headlights, rear defogger, and heater/air conditioning on high you will hear that slight whine from the alternator. That's normal. But if it's loud and the battery light is coming on you should have the alternator tested. HTH. - Jim

325

The car still has overdrive it just takes around 3 seconds to shift. I notice the ones of the lines going to the transmission cooler is leaking. Could it just be low on fluid? And I notice the car got a loud wining noise after the light came on. If I have the car running with now accessories on and diconect the battery the car won't stay running. But then I restarted the car and battery light didn't come back and it stayed running with the battery disconnected.

67,505

I'd definitely check the transmission fluid and keep an eye on it since you know it's leaking. On newer computer controlled vehicles the battery should not be disconnected with the engine running! That can create a power surge that'll fry the electronics! But from what you describe it does sound like the alternator is dying. HTH. -Jim

325

I filled it up but it still hesitates though evry gear

67,505

Sounds like the shift solenoids in the transmission. They're notorious for failure as well. HTH. -Jim

325

I had a fm radio project thing and the car and it randomly got fried while driving when the alternator went. Could it have surged or something and fried something

67,505

Either that or maybe you have a bad ground now with the radio replacement. The transmission is electronically controlled. HTH. -Jim

325

The car shifted fine till right before the the alternator went.