Ignition won't turn

Asked by Jan 20, 2016 at 06:37 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

2001 grand prix.  Ignition won't  turn. Key in.   
Wheel is locked also.   Throw some thoughts at me
please

19,980

Try turning the steering wheel back and fourth while turning key at the same time. Also do you have a spare key that one maybe worn down. You could also try spraying a little WD40 into and around ignition switch may help loosen up ignition.

80

I've dealt with lots of this ... Mostly with my 1st 2000 gp gt... Check the shifter lock on the right side of the shift console...there is a release button...that was once my problem...use a screwdriver to push it... Then, while in the drivers seat, take your right hand ,Palm towards you, reach directly behind where your key goes, stick your fingers under the plastic steering wheel casing and you will find a release switch to unlock your ignition..flip the switch back up.. This will unlock your steering wheel and allow u to turn your key and remove your key if it gets stuck... Pontiac made the wires that travel up the steering wheel to your ignition too short...I GUARANTEE if u look under the steering wheel you can verify what I'm telling you...you've got a broken wire...maybe more...I can't remember exactly but believe there are 3 wires all susceptible to breaking...I never bothered to fix mine it's easier and free to use the unlock switch... Oh, and once it was my ignition fuse under the hood...most of the time the release switch under the ignition does the trick...hope this helps!