Won't start

Asked by Dec 05, 2007 at 05:47 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

My car won't start completley. I have an 01 Pontiac Grand am. I turn the key and it just eerks at me. it almost sounds like a standard before you give it gas. A mechanic that i don'e exactly trust is telling me that its my ignition switch, but it doesn't rub me right. THe car has full power, it just doesn't run. When they scanned my codes, all of them had to do with security.  what's goin on.

check starter,battery,cables,key switch is not out of the question mechanic can replace in about 15 to 20 minutes,is not really a key switch,is a switch that pluges into key switch.

43,935

It could be your starter not engaging fully. Your car probably has the PASSkey system, which is the little black plastic dot with the metal insert on the key. This predates the newer transponder-type keys. The wiring for these in the ignition switch was known to break off over time, causing a no-start condition. I'd suspect the basics first, and take it to a mechanic you feel comfortable with.