Today after I made a sharp turn in a gravel parking lot I start feel vibration in my steering wheel and can the power steering pump. Wonder was it is or if it just normal.

325

Asked by Nov 19, 2015 at 04:14 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

6,805

sounds like your alignment got thrown off

325

It's happens before when I hit a pot hole in the road and then it was fine after

210,685

Maybe your steering rack is worn. Also check the fluid in your power steering reservoir.

4,095

You may have lost a balancing weight on a wheel causing the new vibration to be evident.

325

It only goes if I'm barely moving or sitting. Just open to notice it today. I can get something making noise onthe front of the car when it does it

3,505

One of your front axles likely needs replacing. If that turns out to be the problem and if its in the budget change them both, and if its also in the budget change the wheel bearings too while you're at it.

325

Berings only have about 10,000 miles on them. The car has hit its point in life where its starting to have all kinds of problems. The trans is going out, fuel pump needs replaced and then just started to happen

3,505

The bearings should be fine for a while yet then, even if you put in cheap imported ones. If the car is getting worn out don't worry too much about the axles. I've been driving with bad axles on two of my cars for a couple of years now. They gradually get worse, and the vibration is a bit annoying at times, but they will go a long time. Sounds like you might be due for a new car soon. Don't put money into the old one unless you have to.

325

I still owe money on it so in hoping it last till it gets paid off and I run it till it dies. I wish everything on the car would last as long as the engine does.

3,505

True, they're very good cars, extremely reliable and will usually go 200,000 mi. if you look after them although that does usually seem to include one transmission replacement and at least one fuel pump. If your transmission can't simply be repaired, start looking around for a used one. Rebuilding a modern transmission is stupidly expensive and rarely worth the money spent if its an older car.

325

Car has 186000 miles and the whole transmission is completely original. I'm surprised it made this far with all the problems they have. Though about a replacement but even after labor included is around 2500. That what the car is worth as of right now

3,505

If you're at 186 its near the end of the road. I'll go back to what I said earlier. Don't spend another nickel on it and start looking for a newer one.

325

I give it credit thought. I ran the crap out of it cause I love how fast it is for a sedan

3,505

Well they don't last forever. Not sure what you expect when you've got 186 out of it, have run it hard and have had to do little maintenance.

325

Never drove it much. Before it was only about 50 miles a week. Now I'm going close to 500 week. Everything starting happened not long after the gas gauge quit working