My gas gauge just recently starting packing up. For example I can have around 1/4 tank and it will say I full tank and alot times if its siting on on slant the gas gauge will go past empty.

325

Asked by Nov 09, 2015 at 08:45 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

I have checked the plugs in the fuel pump
access hole in the trunk.

10

I'm a HUGE Pontiac/GM fan but their fuel pump sending units are horrible. That's what's wrong with your gas gauge. Shop around a bit and you might find just the sending unit separate from the pump, if you want to go the cheaper route. I'm pretty sure NAPA sells them that way. If your G/P has around 100,000 miles or more I'd replace the fuel pump as well.

72,435

Sounds like a bad float on the sending unit for the dash gauge. It's part of the fuel pump module inside of the gas tank. HTH. - Jim

325

Car has 185,000 miles on it. I've been noticing the fuel pump has been getting loud some times. I can tell it hasn't the pump hasnt been touched in forever cause there is alot of dirt built up on top of the tank

72,435

Might be wise to replace the fuel pump module then. If the pump is getting noisy it's tired. A fuel pump can and will fail without warning and leave you stranded. HTH. -Jim

325

What brand would be the best to go with without getting to costly

72,435

I'd recommend a Carter. Delphi was most likely original equipment but they're costly. We sell Carter as an economy choice where I work (NAPA Auto Parts). Don't buy just the pump. Since the gas gauge is being troublesome, get the fuel pump module assembly. You can check out rockauto.com for competitive pricing as well as several choices of manufacturers (Delphi, AC Delco, Carter, Airtex, etc.). Airtex is good as well and is an economy line. I put one on my '70 Catalina with no problems. HTH. -Jim

325

Didnt start acting up till I ran the car real low in fuel one day and didn't realize how low it was. I wouldn't bother with it if the low fuel light wasn't on

675

I would change the pump as well, but I found a Delphi pump for $160 on Amazon. Came with everything except the fuel line clips, and the locking ring. Don't put in a cheap pump if you are keeping the car.