How much can I get for my 01 Grand Prix GT

125

Asked by Feb 16, 2015 at 04:17 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

I am finally getting rid of my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3800 V6. I need to know what
I can get for it and whether it would be better to trade it, sell it to a private party, or just
scrap it? It has all the extras. Power drivers seat, leather seat, heated seat(doesn't
work though), sunroof(still works surprisingly), onstar, Bose speakers(work freaking
awesome), spoiler, etc. Everything is in great shape inside, the leather isn't cracked or
anything. There is one small cigarette burn in the headliner that was there when I got it.
The trim piece on the inside that goes around the sunroof has been missing since I got
it. The trip computer doesn't work, but it used to intermittently, so I think it just has a
loose connection. One window regulator went out and I'm missing the lower driver side
door panel on the outside. The paint is good, no major dents, a few small dings. It has
143,6XX miles on it. Based on all these things, I can get prices off many sites(kbb,
nada, etc.) Here is where finding a realistic number gets tricky. I got a new catalytic
converter a couple years ago and a new radiator a year and a half ago, new brakes and
rotors sometime in the 3 and half years I've had it. Now for the major issues that I can
no longer justify spending the money to fix. The heat doesn't work because of leaks in
my coolant system(lim gaskets and a couple other spots), steering needs some tlc,
and as is typical for these cars I don't have 4th on my tranny. Now this car is a serious
trooper, because I haven't had 4th for almost 2 years. She still gets up to highway
speed just fine, only runs at too high of rpm. But from what I've read, you don't
necessarily need to replace the whole tranny because of this issue, but just a rebuild
would be ok. And honestly who knows how much longer it would last with the tranny
how it is. So what could I get for it realistically?

241,385

Honestly, the car is worth more to you than anyone else. According to the guides, I know you looked it up, it's worth $2K is nice condition. The truth is, you replaced some parts, but buyers expect those parts to be in working order. Since the trans and steering are suspect and you have cooling issues, that is a deduct on the $2K to any buyer. If it is inspected you might honestly get something under a grand if you find the right buyer. If you trade it in and your buying another car from a dealer, you will be lucky if they give you a couple hundred. I'm being realistic.

125

I just didn't know what to expect from a dealer for trade, and I know that scrapping it will only get me a couple hundred. I have a mechanic interested in buying it to fix up for his own personal use, and have no idea what to tell him for a price.

67,255

I'd say trade it in. It's 14 years old and has major issues with the transmission and the lower intake manifold. These are known issues that aren't cheap to fix. If it's a GT Coupe you may be able to get $1000.00 from a young person looking for a "fixer upper". I paid $1500.00 for my '00 GT Coupe nearly 2 years ago (6/13). It was a family deal and the car was in poor condition. It had sat for 18 months but I knew the car and I knew that the intake manifold had been done. The tranny issue was a surprise. Mine has also lost 4th gear and torque converter clutch lock in. It's a $1500.00 fix at a reputable transmission shop. Add in the cost of the intake manifold at about $600.00 and your car really isn't worth anything. Then there's the electrical problems. See if a dealer will give you the $1000.00 on a trade in. If not and it's a Coupe try to sell it yourself. If it's a sedan and the dealer won't give at least $1000.00 for it then scrap it. You'll get about $250.00 for it. HTH. -Jim

67,255

Tell the mechanic $1250.00 and take $900.00. That's what I'd do. HTH. -Jim

3,915

Do NOT trade it in. No car dealer wants it and regardless of what they say on paper they will give you nothing for it. Sell it privately for whatever you can get as has been suggested above. Then take that money and put it towards the new car. The dealer will be inclined to give you a better deal on the new car because he doesn't need to deal with the expense and effort of getting rid of the old car.